Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Implement A 'Like' Button For Good Posts

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 733Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
720 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mootermutt987 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I love SCF and spend much time here. I also spend some time at an astronomy forum (cloudynights) and they have one feature that I have not seen here. I don't even know if it is possible on this platform. I suspect it would add significantly to the intricacy of the programming and computing requirements.

A "Like" button. If you read a post that you particularly like, press the button. It provides a little 'food pellet' for the poster's soul. It allows others to see what POV is popular, without having to wade through dozens of other posts - it allows people to voice approval without having to add another post. A small icon next to the topic title could indicate to a member that they have a post in that topic with a 'like'.

After a while, the usage of this would 'settle' down to some reasonable amount.
Send note to Staff

Forum Dad
USA
1702 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been discussed many times. The backbone to any forum is user posts. A like button will greatly diminish the amount of posts. So we won't be doing it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32535 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It provides a little 'food pellet' for the poster's soul.

That phrase tickled me.
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here I was looking for the like button for both mootermutt and rod222's posts
Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Edited by clivel - 01/09/2021 3:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1143 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We already have one. I believe it is this-

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7524 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A post that is liked is easily spotted by the way they are answered.

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
487 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and by both the quantity and quality of the responses.

WE DON'T NEED NO STEENKING buttons!
Learn More...
9491 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   6:45 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another downside, it becomes a popularity contest. You'll get some who want 'likes' enough to start opening multiple accounts just so they can 'like' their own posts. Kind of sad but it happens in other stamp forums.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
888 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Respectfully, please don't add a like button. On some forums I frequent that have those, there's a tendency for people to value the posts purely by the number of likes, rather than the content of the post.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4413 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5943 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be unnecessary, IMO.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
720 Posts
Posted 01/10/2021   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All right! All right! Forget I even suggested such a thing! None of the doom and gloom that is predicted is yet to materialize on the other forums that I have participated in that have had this feature for years. As with anything in life, having such a feature doesn't mean that you HAVE to use it if you feel it isn't in your interest. It is amazing to me how resistant people can be to change. So.... please ignore this idea as anything that could improve the experience on SCF for some people.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 01/10/2021   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelia7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the plus side, with a like button you don't have to wade through numerous one lines posts that are essentially thumbs up responses and have zero actual content.

On the other hand, if you're trying to increase the number of posts on a forum to indicate lots of activity as a lure to advertisers then a like button isn't a wise addition.
Edited by philatelia7 - 01/10/2021 07:50 am
Forum Dad
USA
1702 Posts
Posted 01/10/2021   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
None of the doom and gloom that is predicted is yet to materialize on the other forums that I have participated in that have had this feature for years

Yes, it has. You just don't have access to the back end to see.

Adding a like button here would almost overnight drop the number of posts by at least 20%. I've been running forums for 15 years and have seen it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6408 Posts
Posted 01/10/2021   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about a "I almost liked it but kind of did not entirely but now I changed my mind and am conflicted about the post to some degree" button?
Forum Dad
USA
1702 Posts
Posted 01/10/2021   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about a "I almost liked it but kind of did not entirely but now I changed my mind and am conflicted about the post to some degree" button?

That we can do.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 733Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05