Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Plastic Transfer From Desert Magic Drying Book?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 476Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222.

Perhaps you are recalling discussion re use of 150 proof Everclear or 90 proof Absolut
as soaking method for "recent" US issues.

Have not personally used. Too expensive for my tastes.

Calstamp
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
946 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

When I soak stamps I use a plastic shoe storage box. I fill the box with warm water and let a little warm tap water "dribble" into the box. I then put in the stamps. Any debris is washed over the edge by virtue of the dribbling water overfilling the box. The only thing left are pieces of paper that the stamps were on and the stamps. I then put the stamps in a drying book.

When the stamps are dry, I inspect the backs. If shiny, they go back to soaking. I prefer using the "finger rubbing" when they have soaked a while. Rod's knife scraping scares the devil out of me. Make sure no paper debris goes down the drain. A piece of wire mesh over the drain solves that problem.

At one time I took a shoe box and made holes at the top to let the water drain. That was overkill. Dribbling over the edge works just fine.

Similar to the box I use:
https://www.amazon.com/STERILITE-St...8476&sr=8-54

Jerry B

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod's knife scraping scares the devil out of me.

Jerry, you have to be here, to see it.
The Gum Arabic, soaked in cold water 10-15 mins, and the gum has a consistency of Mayonaise.
Scraping it is like having a close shave, there is no resistance,
just a smooth brush of the knife edge, and all that brown gummy muck, slides onto the blade.

The big trick is to have it on the fleshy base or the thumb,
won't work anywhere else, needs a bit of "give"

Quote:
Perhaps you are recalling discussion re use of 150 proof Everclear or 90 proof Absolut
as soaking method for "recent" US issues.

I have kept this in my folder "soaking"
I don't have much need for soaking anymore, the gum arabic is disappearing, more need for "bestine" for the self adhesives.
Edited by rod222 - 01/12/2021 07:01 am
Valued Member
22 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting discussion - I think the knife scraping might be a bit much for me!

Regarding water temp: I almost always use room temperature water *unless* I'm transferring stamps from a collection where foxing has been present, either on the stamps (in which case I discard, if low value) or elsewhere on the album pages, etc. In this case, I prefer to use hot water to hopefully render inert/kill off any spores that might be lurking. There is a risk that inks could run, but that's one I'm willing to take; personally, I think it's a more acceptable risk than potentially introducing mold into my collection.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 476Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05