Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain 139 - Lilac? And First Time To Scan.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
Posted 01/11/2021   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I found this GB stamp - I believe it is 139, but not certain. If so, would this be lilac in color?

Also - I tried out scanning from my Iphone for the first time! Hoping it came out well First picture is a photo and the second the scan. Any info is appreciated. Thanks all Nora :)

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
118 Posts
Posted 01/11/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Stanley Gibbons, this issue came in lilac, pale dull purple, and dull purple. I don't think it's possible to tell which shade it is by these images. I think the first one turned out better. If you hold it up to a light, do you see a watermark? I have one with a large anchor for instance. If the paper seems similar to most other stamps it's very likely to be the lilac.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/11/2021 10:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
Posted 01/11/2021   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Casey,
Yes it has the Anchor! Most likely Lilac - Thank you :)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go Lilac Sc#139
Both about same price.
Leeds Packet / Parcel cancellation.
(Not aware if this is a "roller"cancellation, or not.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thank you Rod. Leeds Packet/Parcel Cancel, I will need to read up about that. Nora.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will need to read up about that. Nora.

Confession.
First time I have seen that cancel.
Usually Great Britain Parcel cancels, are rubber two ringed circles,
with name across the centre. very common.

Not sure if you would ever find info on that Leeds example.

PS: If you use text string "Sc139 great britain" stamps, or similar,
on eBay, you will see how common these stamps were used for parcels, and Registration.

Very scarce used on cover, if at all.

There are a few there, Lombard Street, and a squared circle.

Anew one for me MR (Roller)
Manchester Yes Manchester confirmed.
Edited by rod222 - 01/12/2021 12:34 am
Valued Member
399 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora,

There are three different stamps, not counting the varieties in colour:
- 1902, printed by De La Rue on ordinary paper in lilac and slate-purple;
- 1905, printed by De La Rue on chalk-surfaced paper in pale dull purple, dull purple, and slate-purple; and
- 1911, printed by (the stamp printing branch of the IRS at) Somerset House in dull greyish purple (tends to fluoresce), dull reddish purple, dark purple, and pale dull reddish purple.

These are the colours that Stanley Gibbons lists.

The watermark does not help, as all King Edward VII 2/6, 5/- and 10/- have the "Anchor" watermark. It is almost impossible to recognise these subtle differences in colours, especially from photos.

I tend towards the reddish purple stamp printed by Somerset House. From the picture rod222 posted of a similar cancellation, I can just make out "Dark Purple." This suggests that canceller was in use after the King had died and Somerset House, provisionally, printed these stamps as stamps with the effigy of King George V were not yet available. The question is whether this canceller was in use before 1910 or even 1905. If it was not in use before 1905, the lilac is almost certainly not the case.

I shall have a better look this evening.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NSK. My Scott Catalogue has it as follows:
139 Lilac
139a Dark Violet ('11)
139b Dull Grayish Purple ('11)
139c Dull Reddish Purple ('11)

Looks like I got bit by the GB bug similar to France :). I am going to probably start an Album - printing my own pages. I appreciate your help as always.

Valued Member
399 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed Scott uses quite different colours compared to SG. I collect Ireland and GB. There are many Irish overprints on GB (Mackennals and Seahorses) stamps. Hibernian colours do not always match SG colours. In general, each catalogue editor uses his own colour definitions.

The '11, I assume, refers to 1911. Those are Somerset House printings. By elimination, the Scott "dark violet" is the Stanley Gibbons "dark purple" that is also the one with the similar parce; cancellation in rod222's post.

Edit: Having looked at the stamp once more, I still go for it being a Somerset House printing in reddish purple.
Edited by NSK - 01/12/2021 11:00 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05