Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Terra Del Fuego Stamp 1891 Chile

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 191Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

France, Metropolitan
2886 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add perf12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

map from:http://oroenlapatagonia.blogspot.co...ueguino.html
These are amusing stamps wrapped up in the history of Julio Popper and his wild adventure in Terra del Fuego.
The stamp was issued by Popper in 1891.They were used on mail to the
Chilean mainland.As Chile had no post office there,the stamp covered this cost.Once arrived at Punto Arenas his agent there further franked the mail with Chile stamps and then the letter entered the Chilean postal system.
The stamps were also used on all mail arriving in the Popper territory and postmarked in San Sebastian.So it had a sort of postage due usage also.(incoming covers only 2 known)
The first printing were Dull Carmine & Carmine Rose,the 2nd printings were Rose-Red & Bright Rose-Red.
Moorehouse coll.:https://corinphila.ch/en/_galleries...how&id=1853#

I have this block of 25 in Carmine-rose.
The Buenos Aires printers name in full in the sheet margins is:
KIDD y Cia Limd SAN MARTIN 351
Send note to Staff
Edited by perf12 - 01/13/2021 07:27 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5064 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that link above ,that collection of Cinderella stamps is being offered for $217,000.00 U.S.Dollars ? What am I missing ....or do I have a decimal wrong on the price .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2886 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader;That was the going price. I don't know what it sold for.The collection had very rare covers though.Even genuinely used stamps are rare.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And forgeries/'reprints' greatly outnumber the genuine.
Not to mention that eight of the nine known covers are included...
Edited by billsey - 01/12/2021 4:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3012 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi perf12,

Thank you so much for posting this.

I've had seven of these SG 1 stamps for many years but had never seen any plating information until now.

I now see that mine have the following types:

- a block of four with the top margin - C D / G H

- a horizontal pair from the right side (with Kidd Y Cia Limd in the margin) - E F

- a single stamp - E
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1790 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen plated sets of singles offered for sale on eBay and/or Hipstamp.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05