Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Chinese Stamps - 2 Batches

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 298Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
590 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob Roy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I assume that these are from Taiwan, but I failed to find them in a catalog.
Speaking of catalogs, how should I have gone about identifying these stamps? I have Scott and SG general catalogs in PDF, and StampWorld. Only StampWorld has an active search engine.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Rob Roy - 01/12/2021 10:58 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have Scott and SG general catalogs in PDF,

Then have your *.pdf's upgraded to searchable.

In my experience the box with the verticle stroke, when at the end of the script, is Taiwan. (but not always the case)

Then try differing text strings, 2F, (for fen) pink, 1766, paint (for paintings), archaeology, etc,
whatever clues are on the stamp, sometimes one needs to approximate the date. (postmarks are helpful then)

Note: some also defy ID, the word may be broken in the catalogue, eg: Palestine may go across 2 lines Pale-stine, or the describer, ignores the latin genus inscribed on the stamp, and uses his own local knowledge "pied nutcracker" etc

Then there is always "catalogue blindness" it is staring you in the face, but you miss it.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/12/2021 8:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok - :) I just got my new 2015 Scott Catalogue from Half Price Books - Love it. Here is what I found:

First Stamp = Oracle Bones and Inscription 1979 Scott #2139 Republic of China
Middle Stamp = Cheng Shih-liang Revolutionary 1982 Scott #2310 Republic of China

Sorry can't find the last one, I will keep looking :)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok ,I think that last one =
Chinese Classical Opera Legends of the Ming Dynasty, Scott #3247 1999

Nora

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
590 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod - I'll try it.
Mrita - thanks for the info. I don't know how I missed them at StampWorld, guess after identifying several stamps my mind took a time out, while the rest of the body remained by the computer screen.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may be helpful Rob.

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
590 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Second batch:

It should be Taiwan, but maybe I blinked again when I reached it in the catalog.
There are yellow-orange cancelations on them, so I guess it might have been used for revenue.
I find one major drawback in the catalogs when used to identify stamps: They don't consider that we don't always know what we want. StampWorld, for example, should make one link to the whole of China's 35 provinces, or India's 43 Feudatory and convention states, or Malayan 14 states, besides the separated links to each entity.
Edited by Rob Roy - 01/12/2021 11:20 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
China Revenues
Vastly intricate with opts etc.
Very common enquiry on SCF.

TIP: search the vast SCF knowledge base : "great wall revenue"
Edited by rod222 - 01/12/2021 11:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
590 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you write China, it means PRC?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, my bad.
When I quote China, to me it encompasses the entire spectrum.
China Empire
PRC
ROC
Manchukuo etc
Regionals.
Occupations.
Revenues.
I do broad spectrum text string searches for my collection, as ease of ID.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
590 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So the revenue stamps, where do they belong? From what you wrote it seems Taiwan.
And do the yellowish cancelations have any special meaning?
Edited by Rob Roy - 01/13/2021 01:05 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
129 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, those are just China revenues.
PRC began issuing stamps in 1949.
Republic of China in 1950.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
590 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So they are of the empire time?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
129 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,I believe so.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The best ever China Revenue site, appears down,
which is really sad. Great information was there.
http://www.chinarevenuestamps.com/3.html
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30834 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I quote Arthur Mongan on the Great Wall Revenues
1913 series of 5 stamps
1c Brown, 2c Green, 10c red, 50c purple, and $1 Blue

"there might be as many as 20,000 differing overprints on this series of stamps"

4th June 2006
Edited by rod222 - 01/13/2021 01:23 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05