Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sparks Auction Postponed, This Time Due To Covid

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 456Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
743 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sparks Auctions' Sale #35 Postponed

To all our valued customers,

Unfortunately, the COVID-19 case numbers are growing rapidly in Ontario and the Government of Ontario has announced a State of Emergency for the province. All Ontarians are required to follow a "Stay at Home" order at least for the next 28 days, to reduce the spread and effects of COVID-19 on our communities. We at Sparks Auctions continue to follow regulations that require non-essential businesses to remain closed, and have been doing our small part to help end this pandemic by working from home. Because of today's announcement we are now additionally obliged to postpone our much-awaited auction. The date of the auction remains to be determined, as we await the positive results of these restrictions. We are hopeful that the shutdown achieves its goals and that we will be able to hold our auction very soon.

As you know, our current sale has been available for bidding on Stamp Auction Network since December 11. Bidding has been brisk since then, and we ask for your patience, whether you have already placed bids, or are waiting to bid during the live sessions of the auction. We will be monitoring email and phone messages during this closure and are always happy to assist you with any questions you may have.

Rest assured that we will keep you informed of any changes. Thank you for your business and for understanding this very difficult situation.

Stéphane Cloutier
Auction Manager
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5927 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the risk of transmission through live internet bidding is enormous.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1465 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah they should just hold the auction and not ship like the other guys. I bought an item in Weiss auctions last week, here is their policy. Be sure and read the last paragraph. As of today I have not received my shipping quote;

Quote:
Attached is a copy of your invoice. PLEASE NOTE: If there is no shipping added to your invoice, you will receive another invoice once this is paid and your items are packed up, usually within 5-7 days.

If you will be picking up your winnings, please let us know as well. Feel free to contact us via email with any questions you may have.

If you have a Tax Resale Certificate, you must upload your certificate your account, otherwise LiveAuctioneers will charge you the appropriate sales tax.

For your convenience, we offer a 2% discount on the Buyers Premium if payment is made within 10 days of the auction with Check, Cash, Money Order or Bank Wire Transfer. If you plan to pay by any of these methods, please let us know and we will email you a revised invoice with the discounted buyer's premium and/or bank wire details.

Thank you,
Weiss Auctions

Notice of Autopay

To help ensure a timely transaction, your card on file will be automatically charged on January 09, 2021 at 4:31 PM CST for the amount stated above. If you prefer to use another payment method, click the Pay Now button above or contact the auction house before the scheduled payment date.

Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, the risk of transmission through live internet bidding is enormous.

No, the risk of facing charges for operating your business when you were told to close down.
Learn More...
9130 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Run from what's comfortable.
Forget safety.
Live where you fear to live.
Destroy your reputation.
Be notorious.
I have tried prudent planning long enough.
From now on I'll be mad.
- Rumi

Pillar Of The Community
United States
743 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or, put another way...

"Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead!"

David Farragut
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5927 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, the risk of facing charges for operating your business when you were told to close down.

Hard to imagine that this is the new reality. Wow.

Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Ontario we've gone through a few periods where the Premier makes widespread announcements regarding school closures, essential services, etc. In the first wave we saw restaurants get fined for allowing people to come in and eat. These measures usually have a changing timetable like the border closure. I have to start working from home starting tomorrow, and I hope it's not 10 weeks like last time. Very few people were able to 'go to work' last April or May.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1114 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad they did not keep the original first date. Probably would have gone fine without a hitch. Buyers chase after the items that you want anyway.

Funny thing, Maresch auction went off and invoices sent, but shipping is probably now postponed. And the prices realized, were feverish on some material. Due to isolation no doubt!
Edited by No1philatelist - 01/13/2021 3:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
765 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maresch is sending out material normally - just got my shipping notification.

I'll leave the political commentary to others, but yes in hindsight Sparks probably should have gone ahead with their original date in early Jan.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1468 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Employer liability lurks in the background as well. Even if the state doesn't exercise its police power and prosecute, management counsel is advising employers not to risk employee claims grounded on an unsafe workplace, notwithstanding the challenge to the employee to prove causation. No one wants the publicity or the cost of exonerating themselves at trial and legislatures will not exempt employers even from claims based on ordinary negligence as opposed to gross negligence or intentional conduct. The whisper date for reopening Silicon Valley has moved to January 2022 because of the intractable nature of this issue in California. Employers are going to wait until public conditions make these kinds of employee claims look ridiculous to the average juror.
Valued Member
422 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The government "stay at home" order of Jan. 14th is for a minimum 28 days, which puts the auction at earliest the third week of February.

That sale has some lovely material, I daresay Sparks has little to worry about re: ready buyers. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I think the live-in-person auction still has a place, but this virus may be changing forever our interaction with auction firms.
Edited by archerg - 01/14/2021 03:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5927 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sincerely hope that small businesses like Sparks survives. In my experience with them they are a good firm to deal with. Very hard to have your cash flow disrupted like this while bills keep coming in.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
765 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I know most of the small business owners locally in my Ontario town and they are stressed - although adjusting as best they can with curbside pickup and online ordering.

I'll certainly be buying material if possible from Sparks, whenever they do manage to hold the auction. Glad I ended up buying more than I planned at Maresch last week, that will tide me over.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 456Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05