Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Listing With Low USPS Parcel Select Shipping Rate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Valued Member

271 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is an eBay listing of stamp albums that I estimate weigh about 15 pounds. The seller has specified shipping by USPS Parcel Select Ground at around $10. The distance between the seller and I is Zone 4 and I read that USPS Parcel Select Ground can only be used for Zones 1-4 if the contents can only be shipped via ground such as hazmat or live animals, none of which apply in this situation.

If eBay knows my zip code and knows the sellers zip code (and based on the city listed in the listing and my zip code it is Zone 4), why would USPS Parcel Select Ground be an option?

I'm estimating these albums will cost $25-$30 to ship Priority Mail.

If I win the listing, will USPS Parcel Select Ground not be an option for the seller? How likely will the seller be to complete the sale and not cancel for a made up reason because she/he has to pay an extra $15-$20 in shipping? What is the likelihood the seller might ship via media mail instead (which is prohibited for this item) and then I am stuck with an extra $15-$20 charge?

Hope some eBay veterans will chime in with comments.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5269 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're concerned, why not ask the seller now?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
271 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since eBay monitors messages and I have no idea about what buzzwords attract their presumably censor, not going to risk my account by getting into dialogue with seller. I know I risk a plethora of sarcastic comments from people, but I wish to remain strictly transactional vs professorial when dealing with eBay sellers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5341 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the seller specifies a $10 shipping charge how could you be on the hook for more?
Valued Member
271 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam: Correct. However, why would eBay's sophisticated program permit a shipping option that is not applicable in my situation? Either the seller will have to come out of pocket for extra shipping or she/he might ship via another method that is not permitted like Media Mail and I could get stuck paying postage due. Seller has 100% positive feedback but I've read that doesn't necessarily mean anything these days.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5269 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clarifying the postal arrangements is hardly likely to trigger the descent of an eBay SWAT team.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1401 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should not hesitate to use the eBay messaging system. A question asked and answered in the system becomes part of the record if there is a future dispute. They don't allow email addresses or phone numbers or offers to buy/sell outside of eBay but other than that you're good.

I just listed and album and I was offered the option of calculated shipping and USPS ground shipping. I don't think they cross reference the content of the auction.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcel select is not limited to those parameters. You can ship anything up to 70 lbs.
Valued Member
271 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phillystamper: Does USPS Parcel Select Ground have different Zone permissibility rules than USPS Retail Ground? If so, then maybe eBay's shipping software program is correct after all.

Assuming Phillystamper and eBay are correct, do most eBay sellers just eat the cost of higher shipping when they underestimate it?
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In general the shipping companies have different prices regarding the volume. Could be real cost, who knows the contract of the dealer and shipping company. One things is to send one package ones in while and other thing for 20 and more packages a day.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, you have to eat it. They may already plan on subsidizing some of it. It is zone based pricing and it is only available through online purchase like stamps dot com and eBay etc...You can't walk into a post office and ship with this method. I can't imagine there being different rules between zones. That would be very cumbersome.
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ones, I dropped the price from 15 to 5. The condition was the packages are sorted by big collections site and by routes. PS. I talk about 300 to 500 shipping's a day. Like this the shipping company have to pay les in labor and ease to deliver.
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phillystamper, I totally agreed with you from the point of view of equality and democratic. The reality in business is only one word: "PROFIT". work like this.
Valued Member
271 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phillystamper: You are correct. I erroneously read on another forum that Parcel Select Ground is unavailable for Zones 1-4. After doing more research, Parcel Select Ground doesn't have zone limitations.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Parcel-Select

Seems like a good alternative cost wise vs Priority for the buyer.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5341 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At this point all USPS delivery methods have the same delivery time range, between three and one hundred days.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05