Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kazakhstan #1 Registered Cover -Need Help Figuring Out Proper Rate Or Not

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 349Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
Posted 01/13/2021   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dgwhite87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm a first issue collector, and I recently bought this cover but I'm having difficulty researching the postal history. The question I'm trying to find an answer to: is this the correct rate for a registered letter?

I found their country's postal website https://kazpost.kz/kk but even with google translate I have not had any luck.

I know this a shot in the dark, but anyone have any solid directions that you can point me towards? (I have not been able to find any philatelic clubs in Kazakhstan to contact).

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2969 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. It would be nice if you indicate the year of issue of the stamps on cover. No postal site in the world will indicate their tarifs from the 1990's.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France
1453 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps are from 1994 (the green one) and 1992 (# 1 in Scott catalogue but listed as # 7 by Michel) and the currencies are different.
The cover was sent in 1995 according to the cancellation,but there is no registration mark on it.
Valued Member
Belarus
106 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I failed to find postage rates for international mail for Kazakhstan, there are internal tariffs (regular and registered letters) here: http://goscf.com/t/75667 - 1 tenge and 40 tenge for the period when that letter was sent.

It's not a registered letter - the rectangular mark on the cover means a postage rate uprating to the tariff, 2 tenge in this case.

First, the situation with this letter becomes more complicate because of 2 additional facts - the stamps in Kazakhstan were conventionally revalued at that period, with different coefficients.
According to the forum at the above link, it was 1:10 at the period discussed, so the 0.50 stamp was counted as 5.00 tenge. Plus 2x30.00 tenge and 2.00 tenge in the hand stamp equals to 67.00 tenge in total.

Second, I can't be sure about Kazakhstan but in many ex-USSR states there were two different tariffs for international mail at that period - roughly, for the so called close foreign countries, i.e. mostly ex-Soviet republics and for the rest of the world.

The fact that the cover bears an additional uprating mark is in favour of its geniune postal use. The other may be arrival postmarks on the reverse of the cover.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
91 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cover! I have not come across a Kazakhstan #1 on cover. To date I have only come across a Tajikistan #1 on cover from the USSR breakup.

Vicaf60 great info and link on the cover.
Pillar Of The Community
France
1453 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   03:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is on a prepaid soviet airmail envelope,with additional franking,sent to Denmark in 1992
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1192 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I remember about working in Kaz at the time, the cover is over-franked for postage to St. Petersburg. 0.5t would have covered the postage within Kaz and Russia; I can't remember what we used to put on our foreign letters as most of them went out hand-carried to be stamped in UK or mainland Europe.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgwhite87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

I spent about 4-5 hours looking online last night and eventually found some useful price charts on kazakhstan postal rates.

I'm not sure why USA$ is listed-- its kind of confusing me-- but I also found a conversion chart.

Edited by dgwhite87 - 01/17/2021 9:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgwhite87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
found the answer (with some help from a man in kazakhstan)

stamps 30 + 30 + 0.50 (rub/ face valued) on date 05.02.1995 revalued as: 0,30 + 0,30 + 0.50 = 1.10 tenge.
taxe per/ postmark = 2.00 tenge. Totally on letter - 3.10 tenge. Postal rate letter up to 20 gr. for CIS countries
after date 15.9.94 before 1.10.95 = 3.00 tenge.
O.K. = really postal used, but 0.10 tenge more (normally and ordinary).
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05