Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Cool Is This? 1933 Century Of Progress. Advice Needed.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,314Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4327 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Framed and matted is a type of display case to me. To place collectibles in a non UV display situation is not cool. Poor stewardship/conservation leading to light/sun deterioration of the items. A bummer for the novice collector you are trying to engage/educate and then to expect the collector to realize all of this and be held responsible for upgrading the frame. I am not liking this project as presented.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 01/25/2021 12:26 pm
Valued Member
15 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not able yet to email anybody via this site, *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***. I really wouldn't like to bust up this full sheet if I don't have to.
Edited by STTScott - 01/25/2021 6:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4327 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
50 posts are needed in order to use the personal messaging system.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5685 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
STT - So you just bought it for $14.50, or $34.95, whichever it is and want to flip it now?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4327 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea to sell the sheet and yes you will need the 50 posts. If that does not happen you will require another venue. eBay? or suggestions anyone.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4327 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With so many perforations missing, blind perfs, separation of the stamps looks challenging.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could put the sheet into a proper stamp mount which blocks UV and then under a regular glass pane. It would provide much more protection than just the glass. But I still think you should consider upgrading the glass.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
597 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had something quite valuable framed a couple years ago. The glass was anti-UV, museum-quality glass and was about 18"x20". The glass alone added about $50 to the job. Even with all this advice, you have to ask yourself if you want to spend $50 more framing a $15/$35 (or, whatever you paid for the sheet) sheet of stamps. Kinda like putting up a $1000 fence to hold in a $100 horse. Just my 2c worth on a 50c discussion.
Valued Member
15 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be providing a basic glass/acrylic sheet. I someone wanted to do UV protection and go thru that expense, it would gemup to them. Because really, people buying stuff at auction want cheap, not good.
Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   08:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People can obviously do whatever they want with the material they own.
But since this is a widely-read pubic forum, we try to offer good stewardship information. Mounting stamps for display, even with costly UV glass, will ruin the stamps. UV glass certainly offers more protection, and keeping light off the display also helps, but over time the stamp(s) will become faded and change colors.
We get inquires every week or so regarding 'color errors', many of these come from folks mounting stamps for display.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,314Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05