Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Number On The Bottom Right Of The Sheet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 229Next Topic  
Valued Member

Romania
317 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cupram to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
Due to lack of space, I want to keep only 1 stamp from block 4.
In the Michel catalog there is no quotation (as for the older stamps) for the bottom row of the sheet with number.
It is not known how the quotation will evolve in the future, so I will keep the stamp with the bottom edge.
I did not find in Michel (as in the older stamps) what the number represents.
Thanks for sending me references.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seems to be a Formnummer, not listed by Michel. It is used to identify the printing Form when an error is found in a sheet.

An explanation in German (Google Translate will help):
http://www.briefmarken-handbuch.de/...k=formnummer

Examples:
https://www.philaseiten.de/cgi-bin/...x.pl?ST=3176

See bottom of link about sheet margins:
http://www.sammler.com/bm/bogenraender.htm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 01/14/2021 06:52 am
Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I understand it, when a printer's sheet is made up of more than one issued (post office) sheets, i.e., panes (Formen), the number identifies the pane (Form) in the printer's sheet.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
650 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One can look at it as a batch number. I anything goes wrong with batch number 5( Plate flaw, misprint etc etc) It is easier to take out/retrieve all "wrong" sheets because of the batch number 5.
Valued Member
Romania
317 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NSK and Johan Buvelot
I understood (?) that it represents the number of the mold (on "philaseiten" I found it as "form nummer = platten nummer") and that due to the rarity index the market price is higher than the simple stamp.
I think I'll keep the blocks of 4 (the ones that have numbers)
The serial number of the sheet may be (?):

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7154 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cupram, please take the time to read the last link given by NSK. It is shown and explained there

Peter
Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I understand it, they are not plate numbers, but more like pane numbers. When printed, a sheet is made up of multiple panes. They are cut up into counter sheets you find at a post office. Each pane in the printer's sheet becomes a counter sheet. The Formnummer identifies which pane in the printer's sheet that counter sheet was. So, if a counter sheet shows an error, the printer knows which pane in its printer's sheet is the source of the error.

Below image shows a British Machin counter sheet. At the bottom left is a matrix. It shows that each printer's sheet has 3 x 4 counter sheets. The sheet in the picture was the second pane in the first row of panes from the printer's sheet. As I understand the explanation, your number has a similar use.

The plate number (cylinder number) is the "D1" above the matrix. Actually, there are three of these numbers as there is the colour, iridescent security overprint and phosphor overprint. I think the number in the picture you post is neither a Plattennummer, nor a Formnummer, but something like the warrant number (0070097) at the bottom right of below picture. It identifies the order from the Post Office under which the printer printed the stamps. a sheet number.

But, please, let someone who knows something about German stamps provide clarity on the exact relation between "Form" and "Bogen." Above is just how I read the texts.

Edited by NSK - 01/14/2021 4:17 pm
Valued Member
Romania
317 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter4522- you were right, I had to read the last link that explains very clearly what the numbers on the edge of the sheets represent.
It is an ambiguity for me in equating technical terms from German to English (both languages are not native to me, but English is still easier).
For the "rosette" stamps from the German inflation period, a sheet of 100 stamps was obtained by reuniting 4 "druckform" of 5x5 stamps.(for flat printing)
I don't think I'm wrong in the translation:
bogen = sheet
form / druckform = cliche, printing block.(mold as I wrote before)
Edited by cupram - 01/14/2021 4:30 pm
Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Cupram

Almost correct.

Bogen is the German word for sheet.
In stamp printing, a cliché is a single element of a printing plate.

A sheet can be made up of panes and each stamp in a pane is printed from a cliché.

The German Druckform would be a "forme."

{url}https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forme_(printing)[/url]
Edited by NSK - 01/14/2021 4:32 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05