Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1852 Cover With 1 Cent Franklin Not 7 Or 9 But A ????....would Appreciate Any Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
418 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
received a lot I won at Kellehers in December today and on the back of one of the advertising covers in a sleeve I fount this stamp hidden away.

as far as I can see its not recut so not a 9, it has complete right top ornaments so not a 7. but now I dont know how to find out what it is so I would like help but if possible also how this is determined so I can learn.

i do know it is not perfect centered but I do like we can see part of stamp design of its neighbor

here is a scna of fron and stamp as found om back, I didnt include rest of the back as there is nothing on it.

hoping one of the 1 c Franklins is willing to help me on this one

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not my specialty, but the scrolls are barely there. Not a lot to work with. Nice piece though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/14/2021 5:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
563 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try the step by step tool on stampsmarter. https://stampsmarter.org/features/S...Plating.html
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
418 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi wkusau

i did, and also the Chase ID card.

i will explain my process:

not no 9, no recuts
not no 7 rel A because top ornaments complete
chance it being a no 7 b relief but as far as the bottom ornaments we can see they look sharp and great and complete so I am leaning towards not, BUT perhaps
could be a 8A bottom line broken
not 8 because top line not broken
not 6 because complete top ornaments
not 5 because right side does not match

so we have 5B, 8A and 7 b relief left.

and now I am stuck
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
418 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
if I did this right of course
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2327 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Strange looking stamp.
Part of top right design appears drawn in.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
418 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
drawn in or under inked?

i will see if I can scan top right design against an other one to comapre
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
418 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

i do not have an endless reference collection but I do have theese 3

i am seeing a lot of equality

would you be willing to point out what makes you say it is drawn in please.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2327 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At play here is either:
- an optical illusion due to cancel or scan
- some part of the design abraded or absent - like guide dot missing at UR
- some alteration made to the stamp

The whole here taken into account - including apparent top margin and stamp to right: there isn't a 1c stamp that looks like this , all taken into account.

Best guess as of now - might be a top row right pane plate 1E/L stamp - but no UR guide dot. Doesn't add up.

Might be a body of plate B relief on 1E/2/3 (#7) if there is indeed a stamp above this.

The stamp appears properly tied to the cover, which is something.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7318 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I enlarged the original image, I saw nothing to indicate that it had been played with. Nothing appears drawn in and nothing appears to be scraped away. I know nothing about plating, so I have no idea about that aspect. If I had come across it, I would have assumed it to be a 7, but many here are much more well versed in these then I am.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
418 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you Txstamp and revcollector for taking your time to help me!

i do not think it is a top margin stamp as there is a small part of the right plum of the stamp that was above it showing just below the dot of the NY in the cancel

i will see if I can show you this when I get home
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
418 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here is were I see a faint end of the plum.

somehow my scan does not show as clear as under my magnify glass but hope you see it
i will try my otehr scanner once I get it working again ;-(

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05