Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott Catalogue India Feduatory Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 239Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So for Travancore, Scott Type A4, 3ch stamp... Can someone tell me the difference between O30 and O31? They can both have the same perf, the same wmk and color(purple). The O31 does have (R) next to it, but the column head overprint example already states they can be either black or red already.... so whats the difference? Also, im struggling with whats an inverted "O". Can anyone post 1 overprint with regular O and 1 with inverted? I've seen a couple of posts but I cant tell. tks!

Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps4Life - 01/15/2021 12:26 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31259 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The series can include stamps opt in Red or Black
(R) determines that stamp in the series is opt in Red.

Inverted "O"
SG#O56c 1933

Inverted "S"
SGO#4b 1921
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2021 01:08 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31259 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Shankha Bhasam, the Sacred left turning Conch
Shown on the Travancore stamps and Watermarks
Normal Left, and the Laxmi (Lakshmi) Conch Right.
Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2021 01:20 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31259 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One really needs Stanley Gibbons with these.

Scott has only 3 different types of Opts on the Type A4

Note: on the O31, the distance between "O" and "SS" is longer. (Non equilateral triangle)

I think I have them as..
Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2021 02:07 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31259 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   02:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note:
Any official stamp after 1920 that appears with tinted paper, KEEP!
These stamps were issued without gum, and the stain comes from private adhesive.

I have yet to see any.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tks rod for all the helpful info. Much appreciated. If I may, to make sure im reading this correctly ask a few more before I jump back into this today. once again on the scott catalogue format

1) where I have circled, top of column, its NOT saying that all overprints from there down are either red or black (LIKE THEIR TYPICAL LISTING CHANGE IN BOLD) , but is just an example for the overprint type?
2) the difference in the listings is that, for instance O31 only comes in red overprint, hence the (R) and O30 only black overprint?

Hope im not confusing the question her, but heres the example of the listing type change...

And thank again the inverted O ex.. The N's and S's are much esier I think. Its hard for me to see the difference in the O's. haha. I hope the day gets better - when I was looking up the example to list here, the catalogue pages slipped out my hand closing shut all at once and blowing all my sorted stamps to the floor. agh....
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps4Life, regarding overprint color in Scott - the (R) denotes a red overprint; no designation denotes a black overprint.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stamps4Life, regarding overprint color in Scott - the (R) denotes a red overprint; no designation denotes a black overprint.

tks for the confirm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
160 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are serious about Indian States, you need to use the Gibbons catalogues.

In my opinion, Rod's illustration of an inverted 'O' is incorrect. That one appears normal to me.

Inverted 'O's are much more displaced, such as this one (I believe this is SG O59c).

(Image from Jiri Cerny's collection):

Edited by peterh - 01/15/2021 3:30 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31259 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, thanks
I'll take that on notice,
I thought I had mine confirmed by Tony Mac,
I may be wrong, my memory was some O's were shaped to indicate orientation. I'll look into it.

Thank you for the heads up.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 239Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05