Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Stamps Revenue Lot Just Sold For 35 Times Estimate

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 976Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5690 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK, we need a US revenue expert or two to chime in on what the heck was in Lot 31. Estimated at $240 and sold for $8,500.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/D/d4892.cfm#5
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5367 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You never know the lengths to which Prince Charming will go for his Cinderella.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i don't know enough about them to guess but unless some of the items are provisional handstamps and rare/scarce as such. the seller got more than they bargained for.
Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a note about a missing overprint, but we see stuff like that all the time, don't we?
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you can't hang with the big boys don't complain
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5690 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who is complaining?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4327 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is something to be learned here. Maybe revenuers will spot it or a forever mystery? Don't you want to know?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7318 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of "questionable" stock transfer provisional overprints. The small boxed examples have been seen before, but never used. The others are new to me, but again none are used. I suspect that two collectors went crazy thinking they are rare, but I suspect that they are creations.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7318 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plus a few misregistered overprints, "delivery future" or "transfer stock". Nice to find but hardly worth big bucks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5690 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the input Rev. That is very expensive "crazy".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5087 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   10:02 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Bart mentioned, some "questionable" provisional handstamps, and a whole lot of EFOs. The multiple with the missing overprint would be of interest. I'd love to know from the 2+ bidders that battled it out what was of such interest to justify bidding to that level. I'm more focused on 19th century material, so 20th century material, while certainly of interest to me, wouldn't garner even remotely anything near that bid. With juice, you're in at 10 grand. I doubt I would have paid 5% of that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7318 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pair only cats $160. And it is Swiss cheesed. And the inverted series 1940 only cats $125 Swiss cheesed. I figure there is a legitimate amount of interesting material to bid $350-$400. A serious collector of the material could justify $500. But that's it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7318 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, lot 41 of the same sale was misdescribed. It is not an RF7. it's an RF16 with the RF7 type used as a cancel, a not uncommon thing to do. Often the RF15 style is used. It catalogs 90 cents. Someone paid $70; I hope they get a cert for it.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that most of the items in this lot came from the 1991 Joyce sale and haven't been pn the market since then. The catalog values are way off as some of these items are unique or close to it. Try to find them at even close to catalog. I may be wrong but I think someone got a good deal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7318 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What makes you think that they came from the Joyce sale? Anyone selling Joyce material would make a point of saying so in the description just for the value it woulds add. And he had special pages made up for his collection. This material did not come from the Joyce sale, unless it was throw-ins from a remainders lot. Even then, this was no bargain, someone grossly overpaid.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
598 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   09:34 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A serious collector of the material could justify $500. But that's it.

I was thinking of being a player up until that but when it opened at 6 grand I was like
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 976Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05