Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

F2 Cover Or Is It F1 Or F3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 334Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This cover has always bothered me.
It has a Small Queen and a Registration stamp F2 on the cover Aug.25.1892...Collectors have seen my cover before.

Now here is what bothers me...Under the F2 is another registration stamp.
The way it sits now the cover would be worth approx. $60.00
If I found a F1 underneath would be worth, approx. $55.00
If under the F2 there is a F3..It could be worth much, much more.

See close up where there is another F Registration stamp hiding below.

It could also be a F1d or maybe a F1v.
It could also possibly be a F3ii or maybe a F3iii.

Do not want to try to remove the F2, but darn it is temping.
Wish there was a way to see what is underneath...???

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
166 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried a very strong backlight to see what the second stamp might be? Chris
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you tried a very strong backlight to see what the second stamp might be?

Good idea Chris..Will try that.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3663 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a guess. Someone thought that 2 cents (F1) was enough, but then found out that 5 cents (F2) was correct, so they covered the F1 with an F2. If there was an 8 cents (F3) below that, why would they cover with an F2 instead of just living with 8 cents?

I would just leave it alone. Again, just my thoughts.
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even if there's an F3 underneath, once you remove your 5c, the 8c is no longer properly tied, thus greatly diminishing the value IMO on all levels. The cover is nice as it is. I would leave it and enjoy it as it is and not worry about what's hiding but appreciating what's there as a whole. Also just my 2c
Learn More...
8965 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   03:57 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps are typically removed from covers by certification organizations (and reattached using hinges); as far as I know, this is consider an acceptable practice.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, found out that registered stamps were used from 1875 until 1893.

Here is the rate in 1892 below...

Funny, I found this letter with a F2 over a F1 like mine.

So guess my stamp is 99.9% a F1...Back in the box you go.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
558 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could try to steam just a portion of it and see what is underneath. I suspect it is a F1 for the reasons listed above.
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Na....wkusau

Back into the box..On to the next investigation.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another reason it is unlikely to be an F3 underneath is that the existing stocks of F3 were recalled July 1, 1878 and those surrendered were destroyed. This is more than 14 years before your cover. This makes it unlikely an F3 was even available.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for fun..Even though they were recalled July 1, 1878.
Here is one 18 years after that date...1896
Just saying.

Robert

Edited by wert - 01/17/2021 6:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3359 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,
I agree with you initial statement that you have shown your registered cover in quite a few threads here over the years. Isn't it about time to get the mystery solved of the under-stamp and be done with it? Putting it back in the box and re-posting the image a few months from now won't accomplish anything. Just saying ...

The first thing I would try is strong back-lighting with the area is wet with watermark fluid to make it more transparent.
Failing that, I would lift the left or right third just enough to have a good peek.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 334Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05