Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 554 On Cover With A Straight Line Running The Length Of The Stamp.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 467Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This very straight line looks like it is impressed into the stamp but where it goes across an inked area, it seems to have dragged the ink into the white areas. It runs past the full length of the stamp. What could this be from?

Send note to Staff
Michael Darabaris

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5673 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like their was FOD (foreign object debris) on the plate when it was printed since the paper is scarred as well.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3663 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or, perhaps during handling or canceling.
Pillar Of The Community
3359 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would vote for damage during or even well after use. It could have been done recently.
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this happened during printing when the ink wasn't fully dry. Something in the machinery applying an edge or pressure to it? The paper is deformed at the top, so not just a hair.
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/17/2021 3:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5673 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It could have been done recently.

How on earth was the ink displaced recently?
Pillar Of The Community
3359 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How on earth was the ink displaced recently?

My point being that the short time during production versus the long time this stamp existed after leaving the BEP/Post Office. It has been on this cover for 90+ years. The time since the stamp was sold is huge by comparison. And yes, I would bet the scratch was made close to the time of use, but the scratch does not have a date on it.

If I were to attempt to simulate this damage effect today, it would be quite simple to take a very dull knife with a rough edge - or a metal nail file - something which would both indent the paper AND provide some abrasion to grind and drag the ink particles along and deposit them further down the scratch line.

I see zero evidence that this is a production EFO.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are couple of more images.

Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5673 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great scans! Obviously there was a foreign object on the plate or paper while the ink was still wet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7315 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that this was caused after production in the subsequent handling of the cover. It's been around a long time and no one knows the troubles it has seen.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5673 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad that you agree Rev.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7315 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't, I think it was simply a case of poor handling. I agree with John Becker.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5673 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
3359 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I admit I may still be on the fence, but my responses so far "go with the odds" - for what data we have been presented.

The images so far "slant" the data significantly. It would be good to have a scan of the entire mail piece, a scan showing the entire stamp to show whether the mark goes beyond the stamp onto the cover, close-up of the scratch/cancel junction and closeup of the scratch crossing any perforation hole. How the scratch/cancel and the scratch/hole meet will be strong evidence of the timeline.
Edited by John Becker - 01/18/2021 4:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SO great Idea! I will get images of the full front. I am taking pictures with a 3in1 Digital Microscope 1600X. around $20. Nothing great, kind a cheaply made but it does a great job getting digital images.
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two close ups are of the stamp and off on the paper spot but from opposing views to get the best shadow. Then a large area of the issue and the full cover.

Michael Darabaris
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 467Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05