Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Local Stamps Hoard - Need Some Pointers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 465Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1070 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   1:47 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this attractive bunch of locals. Several are clearly fake - e.g. the Broadway locomotive. Some of them I see in Scotts, many I don't. Of the ones I do find many look suspicious because they just look a little too fresh.

What I'm hoping for is any pointers you might have. I don't suppose there is a "commonly faked locals" section in Stamp Smarter... Are there online references available that might assist? Are there any that catch your eye here that might be worth a little more attention?

What am I doing with them? I don't know. Some are pretty cool and I might add to my collection, if there are some sellable items, eBay will be seeing them. Some will probably just hang around in my "do something with these one day" area.

Thanks in advance.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
435 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An expensive investment for the future is "The Identifier for Carriers, Locals, Fakes, Forgeries and Bogus Posts of the United States" by Larry Lyons.

3 volume set.

Amazing reference and it will not take long to pay for itself. As has been stated on SCF many times, many of the forgeries are worth more than the real stamps, and this will help you decide what you have.

Not cheap, but a must have if you encounter or want to encounter these stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1070 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   3:45 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found a used set on eBay. Looks like the way to go. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1070 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   1:35 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received the Lyons books. I wanted to add that these are really well done and extremely detailed. I started with the first three stamps - the "City Express" stamps. I was able to determine not only that they are all reprints, but was able to get plate numbers for all three. It's going to take a lot of time to go through them all. But these books are certainly extremely good sources for this topic. Thanks for the guidance.
Pillar Of The Community
3359 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Lyons' volumes quickly show how incomplete and worthless the Scott Specialized catalog is for carriers and locals.
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should add that the Carriers and Locals Society has a website and publishes a journal called The Penny Post. The editor is the same as the one who wrote the Identifier series of books. Additions and corrections have been reported since his books were published. In addition, the website has been gradually posting sections of a large reference collection, in full color and with all identifying characteristics.

The website is www.pennypost.org and is the best source for information on this subject beyond the Identifier.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05