Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finding Watermarks Using Ronson Butane Fuel

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 919Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A stamp dealer recently told me that I could use Ronson Butane Fuel to see watermarks. Has anyone done this and is it safe to use on both used and mint stamps without affecting color, gum or any other aspect of the stamp's appearance? If you have done this and are certain of the answer, please respond. Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp collectors have been using lighter fuel to help see watermarks for decades, without adverse consequences.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and Welcome.
I have been using lighter fluid to identify watermarks forever. Butane I don't think will work, but I don't know. He probably meant Ronsonol lighter fluid.
Valued Member
Learn More...
434 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, Ronsonol is safe for all US stamps, mint or used.

That said, I believe there are many European stamps you have to be very careful with as it will cause the ink to run.

I don't collect foreign, but remember seeing the warning numerous times.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4323 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ronsonol lighter fluid is naptha used for watermark detection. Ronsonol butane fuel is not to be used on stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5628 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ned's last words before the explosion and fireball were "It's vertical!!!"
Edited by rogdcam - 01/17/2021 6:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Butane is a gas, not a liquid; tough to use to find watermarks. Ronsonol is very good.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1426 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just be sure to use it in a ventilated area.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31259 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I witnessed a stamp expert (Randy Shoemaker)
use Ronsonal Lighter fluid on a possible $1,000,0000 stamp.

It was not the right grill, est value $50
Valued Member
Spain
237 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I have always done it. I also use it to peel off adhesive stamps.
Regards.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sr - As far as I know, stamps with fugitive inks, such as the GB Jubilee series, run in contact with water, not Zippo.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
983 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Jimp!

I've been using lighter fluid on stamps for decades without any problems. Do a search here for "Ronsonol" and you will find many threads on this issue.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
Learn More...
316 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall reading somewhere that watermark fluid should not be used on chalky paper; anyone know anything about that?
Valued Member
Learn More...
41 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watermark fluids;
Not to many selections nowadays as the US has restricted so many chemicals from the public to use. Even spray paint can't be purchased from a unlocked cabinet at Home Depot.
Ronsonol is a type of dirty naphtha, which is the 'sweat' from gas lines transporting natural gas products.
As a contractor I would get Trichloroethylene (TCE) to several dealers as it is a much cleaner product.(made the trading better)
Warning;;; Very dangerous, Very flammable, used as Anesthetic, (Gotta keep your nose out of it!)
A really fast product used in deep well solvent vapor tanks (I worked in aerospace biz)
I haven't seen TCE available on the shelf in years.
All solvents have handling problems and safety issues.
(personally I don't use lighter fluids, too dirty)

Hi Rod;
Not all Ronsonol containers contain the same things, as the item was being used by a lot of smokers at the time. A product for watermark fluids
was usually in glass containers was a pain like Harco Fluids etc.., so the dealers would put fluids into the old Ronsonol containers as it had a removable top to be filled from 1 quart or gal of fluid and could be carried easily, I would fill the containers for them.
Ask Randy if he had Ronsonol in the container or? (might be trade secret)

PS/ After TCE became a more controlled product I did have a few guys that wanted Methyl Ethyl Ketone MEK was used for all kinds of industry and easy to get until the movie business ran into huge problems in Calif using the MEK to 'age' wood to look old for props, etc..., so after the EPA, AQMD, Costal Commission, health, unions, the product was controlled now.
(I hope I'm not rambling on this topic)

Edited by Pickastory - 01/18/2021 2:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
852 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do note that using watermark fluid on older used stamps with stamps that have colored cancels can fade or remove that cancel. (Speaking from experience.)
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Valued Member
Learn More...
41 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil....
I ruined 3 before the 'experience' light started flashing!
About $20.00 for tuition...even with TCE at the time some inks and colors were a great surprise. The solvents at the time for cancels was what was available at the time and poor quality, so a surprise here and there.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 919Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05