Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finding Watermarks Using Ronson Butane Fuel

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,096Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7367 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have watched experts put examples of C3a into Ronsonal lighter fluid. I myself have used it thousands of times without a problem. But good ventilation is a must, as mentioned above.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
640 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Years ago, I used Carbon tetrachloride, sold cheaply as a spot remover under the trade name Csrbona, for watermark detection.
It was dangerous carcinogen and has since been removed from the market. Ronsonal works well with the exception of a few European stams where it re dissolves the ink. Most dealers I know use Ronsonal.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5936 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just buy naphtha at the hardware store. Much cheaper.
Valued Member
Learn More...
52 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi rog;
Heads up on the paint department type of nap as it isn't the same as the lighter fluids, its way 'dirtier' than the lighter fluids.

On the Carbon Tet it is cleaner than the lighter fluids and cleaner than the MEK, but like mentioned above, it is a very carcinogenic product.
Edited by Pickastory - 01/21/2021 11:22 pm
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coversRfun2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got one quart so far from paint dept as refill for my emptied Ronsonol; it is not dirtier than what came in Ronsonol.
I suspect talk of dirtier naphtha is really a matter of random minor contamination, perhaps more likely from some sources, or was more likely in the past?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5936 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Naphtha from the hardware store is just as "clean" as lighter fluid.
Valued Member
Learn More...
52 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all;
it seems that the main point would be that the product Ronsonol made by Zippo after 2010 has a composition of 70% light hydrotreated distillates with 30% hydrotreated light naphtha.
the straight hydrotreated naphtha (Klean-Strip VM&P) is 95% from the paint store, heavy and oily from the other aliphatic hydrocarbons c7-c9, and many others.
my summation would be for the lighter fluid as the lighter solvents will have less impact on the physical aspects of the stamp papers.
faster evaporation is a plus for clue to better solvents, but way more flammable.
safety first always.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,096Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05