Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For A 1 Cent Franklin 51-57 Plater On How To Start Plate-Ing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 342Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
409 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi, I am new to this and could use sone guidance.

i got my 2 book set Ashbrook and the Nienken book in the mail last 2 weeks after understanding thees 2 are the holy grail of plating

very very happy with them, and as a bonus I also got myself the types and plates of the one cent 1851-1857 by ashbrook (the early 93 pages soft cover) publisched by scott in 1926

now my questions:
were do I start?
what book is the best to begin with? I was told neinken improved the ashbrook books...is that so?

and last, am I correct with how I think the sequence of plating works:
1. determin perf/unperf
2. determin type
3. determin relief
4. search individual characteristic within the group that is left

sorry, to all you experts this must sound like ..... questions but it would really help me to get some feedback on this before I dive in
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6200 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best start, read the books.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
912 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great question

I only read Neinken and I thought was great

I like your sequencing to plate. Good generalization

However reading these books front to back would lose my attention

I prefer taking out a stamp let's say you know is Scott 9. Read chapter on plate 1L and try to plate stamp. By time you are done you will have read whole chapter, plated your stamp and you will be having fun
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6200 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also don't forget about this resource. I use this site as much as I use the Neinken book. There is no substitute for reading the books. Perhaps not cover to cover to begin but a deep dive is necessary IMHO.

I started with Type IV stamps because they are some of the most interesting along with being the most affordable imperfs. They are for the most part easier to plate due to the recuts and double transfers.

http://www.slingshotvenus.com/Frank...hv_Main.html
Edited by stallzer - 01/18/2021 7:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1430 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch, glad to see you taking the plunge. The following is just my take--other platers (and there are certainly some who are more accomplished than I out there) certainly may have different approaches.

I think you have the essential elements identified, but it is not always a linear process. My approach is to first identify the possible plates to which a given example may be assigned. This can be done based on type and/or on relief, often in conjunction. After first ascertaining that the stamp has not been doctored (e.g, perfs trimmed off or design elements drawn in) I look at the relief. Type V reliefs are easy to identify and take you to Plates 5,7,8,9 and 10. Similarly, the reliefs from Plates 11 and 12 can usually be identified at a glance (heavy dot in the medallion oval behind Franklin's head). The three reliefs of Plates 1 (both states), 2 and 3 similarly can usually be identified immediately (Plate 1 Late has the added tip-off of the recut lines). That leaves Plate 4, which is uncommon but which features a unique set of reliefs. Once you have narrowed down to a plate or set of plates, further reference to the reliefs will help you identify which rows on the plate(s) the stamp in question might come from. Then you can look for positional plating marks. There are other clues that can help you narrow down the possible plates up front (guide dot position, color, overall appearance with regard to blurring and mottling etc.) that experience will enable you to use.

The published sources you list are the ones you need. Neinken is an improvement on Ashbrook as far as the plating information goes (Ashbrook delves into areas of postal history that Neinken does not). However, Neinken should be supplemented with updated plating information published in the CHRONICLE. In addition, you should definitely look at the 1c Franklin Plating Archive created and maintained by Richard Doporto (http://www.slingshotvenus.com/Frank...v_Main.html)

Happy plating!

ETA: stallzer's post appeared as I was writing this. Definitely agree with him on the use of the Plating Archive.
Edited by dudley - 01/18/2021 7:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to segue into postal history someday, Ashbrook vol 2 is a terrific starting point, even if out of date.
Learn More...
8965 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1430 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Don. Our bad.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
409 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you everyone for the advise, sorry for the late reply but I was busy at work.

i will keep you all posted
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the most important thing(s) for someone learning to plate this stamp are -

* learn what the full die design looks like (Neinken)
* learn what the reliefs on the transfer roll look like for each plate.
(also Neinken)

Learning Types, is almost a secondary issue when plating. Types are a way of categorizing similar looking stamp impressions across plates, created, essentially for collectors.

Studying the stamp by plating is more about what plate the stamp is from, and both how and why it comes to look like it currently looks.

If you really understand what the transfer rolls, aka "reliefs" look like, that will take you far. From there, you can navigate your own course. As part of learning about transfer rolls and reliefs, you will begin to understand how the plates were made, which will give you more insight into plating these.

Have fun!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05