Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some Help On US 11 Plating

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 662Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

241 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hobsun013 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello,

Thought this one should be straightforward but I just cant be seeing this one right. I see this one with no inner frame line at right. It seems to me that the left inner frame line may be replaced by the frame-line (maybe this is not correct). Looks like it may have a single line re-cut in lower left triangle. The lower right guide dot seems very wide right. The combo of these these observation does not appear to exist. I set it aside for a bit and came back but no progress. Any input is appreciated. The scan is not crisp and I am not sure why, I may need to adjust my scanner, normally my scans are much clearer.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Hobsun
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:18 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a Plate 4 stamp. Scott #11. Not a very good scan but the stamp actually looks like an A relief. There is a funky extra line in one column of Plate 4, maybe this stamp is related. I'm not able to do any plating right now.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
753 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 49R4 with the dot outside the frame in the lower right and the virtually missing left frame line.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   8:01 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, probably.
Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Gents,

I believe you have found it. Obviously, not a replaced left inner line nor a re-cut line in lower left triangle thus my narrowing of the search criteria was coming up empty. The wide dot should have helped me close in eventually. The example photo on Stamp Smarter is a very good match and even has what appears to be a little stronger line in lower left triangle. I am going through a set of 11s that make up a calendar collection and recording them as best I can. This has been fun. I do need to work on my scanner though. I replaced my printer/scanner with an exact model. I liked the old one and it lasted 9 years so bought a clean used one. The previous scans were much clearer so not sure what the issue is.

Thanks again for your help - this one just had me spinning.

Hobsun
Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All,

I continue my quest to learn and work through my calendar entries for this stamp. I have what I believe to be a single line recut in lower right triangle with 2 inner lines. I also see what I believe to be a guide dot in upper right. I am still working on getting my scanner right in terms of color/clarity so this one does not appear orange brown in scan but looks closer in person. I have come up with 5r2e for this item. Seems to align with the photo in stamp smarter but I could use a second look. Any pointers are appreciated and I can keep looking as needed. Thanks in advance.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1775 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hobsun013,

Your scans are a little grainy, but I have a hunch that your scan colors are pretty close to the true scan colors after seeing two of your images in this topic. What type of scanner are you using?

The 5 May stamp doesn't appear to have the color or impression of a #10A. Also, 5R2e should show a small "gash on shoulder" on top of the button (C-relief).

I agree that this is position 5R2, but from the late state of the plate (5R2L), which is a B-relief.

Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Classic Coins,

Many thanks for the quick reply. Obviously I missed the gash on the shoulder. My approach is not to try and plate all the stamps as I move through my calendar just the ones I think I can get close on given the re-cuts I see and the presence of guide dots. In this case at least I found the proper re-cut and guide dot matches. I get excited at times so I need to dig deeper.

My scanner is an all in one Cannon PIXMA printer item which I recognize might not be the greatest. For these scans you see in this message, I scanned at 600 DPI and saved them as jpeg and then just used the tool to upload them. I do no corrections or other adjustments using any software. If you have a suggestion to help reduce the graininess mentioned I would surely give it a try. I have debated getting an Epson dedicated scanner as they seem to get positive recommendations on this sight. I don't do family photos or film negatives so I don't need top of line models. Do you believe that a low end Epson scanners (v39 for example) would provide substantially better results than what I have now.

Thanks again for time and consideration.
Hobsun
Pillar Of The Community
United States
955 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend the Epson V600. It has a much higher resolution than the V39. Scan your images at 1200 dpi for better appearance.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1775 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Hobsun.

I've owned one Cannon scanner and many Epson scanners. I found the Cannon scanner very disappointing for scanning stamps. I've been very happy with all of the Epson scanners, as they generally produce clearer images.

I recently switched from an Epson Perfection V370 scanner to the V600 model. I would recommend the V370 model if you're looking for a lower-priced scanner than the V600. I've never tried the V39.

As a 3-cent imperforate stamp plater, I consider my scanner to be a vital plating accessory. I frequently compress the scans to 10 percent of their original vertical size, then compare the image to compressed Chase print images. This enhances the curves in the side frame lines, which allows me to quickly narrow down the list of candidate positions. This technique has allowed me to plate many stamps that I would have never been able to plate without it.

I compressed your 5 May stamp image to help confirm the position before I replied.

Here's an example of a 10A, position 4R2e, compared to the Chase print using the compression technique:

Learn More...
8965 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   7:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would avoid a V39 (I've used one and was not impressed at all).
Don
Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Classic coins - thanks again for the help. Given I anticipate more plating activities (it can be addicting), I agree it is time to upgrade the tool set.

JAXOM100 / Don - thanks as well. I was thinking since I really would be limiting my scanning to stamps (no photos or films) that the V600 may be overkill (options I may never need/want) and was hoping the v39 would do the trick. If Don says no to the V39 that is enough for me. I don't see myself doing a lot of manipulation (at least initially) but a clear resolution and ability to get to 1200 DPI seems like it will make things more enjoyable. I will do some searching and will give an update once I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Hobsun
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31303 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an Epson V200
that may be an "in between' scanner V39 v V600 regarding pricing.
Seiko software and most of the bells and whistles.

Hmm, seems out of date (2008)
I had not realised mine was that old, I paid circa $200 then.
The new V600 is only $230 US, well worth the money
Edited by rod222 - 01/31/2021 11:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   07:50 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is like a 0.001 horsepower V500.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31303 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
V500
There is a new model out .........V550 6400 DPI resolution !

Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks to all,

It seems based on this and other message threads in this forum the V600 is the way to go and at ~ $230 I think this make sense. I will report back once I have it and have tried it out for myself. Here's hoping that any photos I upload in the future will have a reduction in the grainy level and allow for more enjoyable plating efforts for me moving forward. Also my scans of my album pages should likely look much better.

Hobsun
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 662Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05