Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

High Prices At Yet Another Auction: Harmer-Schau

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 947Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5087 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sat through several sessions of the Harmer-Schau auction this weekend, and as with other auctions we've seen, bidding and results were quite strong, especially in collection lots. Just about everything went at or above estimates. Very few unsold lots. Asia in particular was quite strong.

Prices realized are not on SAN, since live bidding was only on another platform.

Prices realized: https://www.harmerschau.com/php/toc...g=1&sale=122

Some eye openers:

https://www.harmerschau.com/php/lot...=1756&lang=1

https://www.harmerschau.com/php/lot...=1759&lang=1

https://www.harmerschau.com/php/lot...=1759&lang=1

https://www.harmerschau.com/php/lot...=1765&lang=1

https://www.harmerschau.com/php/lot...=1796&lang=1

https://www.harmerschau.com/php/lot...=1899&lang=1

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1829 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing that data Revenue. Some of those realizations are jaw dropping.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
725 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   4:19 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch Country today too, with some lots going 5x estimate...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5685 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a very hot market. Lots of demand that supply is having difficulty meeting.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wjmartin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched parts of the Harmer-Schau auction as well. Was way out-bid on stuff I was interested in. I was impressed that they did 3 solid days of auctioning, with the same guy calling for 30 hours. I would have been hopelessly hoarse after 1 hour. The live-bidding web interface was excellent, too; very responsive and great audio.

China stuff was particularly shocking for the prices it went.

As to why prices have gone up so much, I have no doubt it is due to the pandemic in some way. One possibility is an increase in collecting activity. That isn't the only possibility. Checking APS membership #s, and the decline in members continues. So maybe the # of collectors is not increasing, though existing ones may be more active. A bigger effect may be an increase in the number of dealers, as out of work people seek to start a new business. With fewer auctions the last year, dealers (both old and new) have gotten short on material, and so bid-up dealer lots. Of course, more dealers if there aren't more collectors, will make dealing less profitable. I really don't see how anyone could make much money with the prices some of the dealer lots sold for at Harmer-Schau.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5685 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, APS membership numbers are up.

For a discussion of the market by David Coogle, President of Kelleher's see this topic:

http://goscf.com/t/75776&whichpage=1#677755
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2521 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   07:44 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Dutch Country today too, with some lots going 5x estimate..."

The only lot I was going to bid on went at 4x. Silly me, I was "only" going to bid 2x.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2521 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   07:51 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to Harmtt-Schau

" I was impressed that they did 3 solid days of auctioning, with the same guy calling for 30 hours. I would have been hopelessly hoarse after 1 hour. "

Me too, but he loves to talk, so his voice is trained.

" Just about everything went at or above estimates"

Unlike Kelleher, he likes to intentionally underestimate lots, but for this being his last auction it is clear he just phoned in some of the estimates.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
579 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
for this being his last auction

Has Harmer-Schau announced that they aren't holding any more auctions?
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wjmartin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know where Coogle got the idea APS membership was up. From the APS website (recently updated with 2020 #s):

https://stamps.org/history/membersh...torical-data

Members at the end of 2019: 28010; Members at the end of 2020: 27415. So not up. I guess you could say that the rate of decline has been stemmed some. Actually, the most new members since 2016. Below is a screen shot of a spreadsheet on the matter. Still, we haven't seen an increase in membership in the APS since 1997. Makes me sad.

There may be some increase in stamp collecting, but I doubt it is a flood (outside of China).

Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   9:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
APS membership (like stamp show attendance and number of brick and mortar stamp stores) was as a metric for the health of the hobby back in the 1980s. But the hobby, and everything else in our lives that included the communication of information, drastically changed in the post-internet era. Of course APS membership declined**, pre-internet our primary interface with the hobby was organizations like APS and the AP magazine, Linn's, and local clubs. But now hobbyists have a variety of ways to interface with the hobby, and much of it (like this community) comes without costly membership fees.

Until someone develops a method of measuring the health of the hobby which includes the online segments it will be nothing more than guessing.
Don

**It is not coincidence that the decline shown above started in the late 1990s, the same time that the internet began to become mainstream.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5685 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wjmartin - New membership is up in 2020 from 2019 by 14% per column 2. That is what I am talking about.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5685 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Growing hobby

During the summer of 2020, web traffic and sales figures for the APS nearly doubled compared to the same period the year before, according to executive director Scott English, 50. "We've seen membership applications grow significantly," he said. They've also seen demographic shifts. While 80% of APS members are over 60 and only 9% of all members are women, half of the new applications are female, English said. "Applications are substantially more female, diverse and younger."

https://www.newsday.com/lifestyle/r...c-1.50027508
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2987 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Japan, Massive Accumulation in 40 Boxes, mint and used on pages, stockpages, in albums, in glassines, etc., collections virtually all bought out of major auction firms over the decades, subsequently some items removedAll the high values but, in many cases, substantial value still existsMostly common , some work needs to be doneMissing values everywhere but worth the effort, better items incl. DragonsSo what,what type ?, Cherry BlossomsIn every collection but mostly value in the early to mid 20th Century period
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5087 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   09:19 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Japan, Massive Accumulation in 40 Boxes, mint and used on pages, stockpages, in albums, in glassines, etc., collections virtually all bought out of major auction firms over the decades, subsequently some items removedAll the high values but, in many cases, substantial value still existsMostly common , some work needs to be doneMissing values everywhere but worth the effort, better items incl. DragonsSo what,what type ?, Cherry BlossomsIn every collection but mostly value in the early to mid 20th Century period

1. Pure supposition unless you examined the lot firsthand or consulted with the auction house.

2. To what extent do you realistically expect them to describe a bulk lot?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
725 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received via an email...Harmer's first 1/2 of 2021 auction schedule:

Announcing H.R. Harmer's Schedule
For The First Half Of 2021

We are excited to announce our schedule for the first half of 2021, which will include four wonderful name sales and two general sales. We are still actively seeking consignments for both our April and June sales, dates, and deadlines for which can be found below. Don't miss a chance to have your material featured alongside the exceptional and diverse properties already in our office.

General Sales:

United States Postal History

United States, British Commonwealth, and Foreign Collections and Accumulations

Sale Dates: April 12-14

Consignment Deadline: February 12

United States, British Commonwealth, and Foreign Stamps and Covers

Sale Dates: June 14-16

Consignment Deadline: April 9

Specialized Sales:

The "Bedford" Collection Part I: United States and Canada

Sale Dates: April 12-14

The Dr. Larry C. Parks Collection Part I: British Commonwealth Postal Stationery

The Ing. Pietro Provera Collection of United States Stamps and Covers Part II

The "Erivan" Collection of United and Confederate States Postal History Part V

Sale Dates: June 14-16
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 947Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05