Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Scott's #146 Paper

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 1,549Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6835 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can we actually tell what the original paper looked like when examining a 100 year old used stamp?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure rodgcam,
but I think its worth a look, then again I could be beating a dead horse!
maybe someone will be kind enough to post a up close of the back of one (GC) and we could break it down?
or possibly look for the things I'm looking at on one they have and provide something, who knows
I"M NOT saying this is something fancy it just raised my eyebrow as questionable
again could be junk stuck to it or something
far as I can tell one way or another its not a something I would send off(not worth the cost)

Edited by Just_fella - 03/08/2021 5:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
700 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
then again I could be beating a dead horse!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks emaxim,
I figured as much!
Just having a hard time explaining to myself why this looks like a different paper aside from its 100 years old and used (I have old beat granite paper that you can tell)
If all the "fibers?" Where on the surface I'd say it was dirty and give it a bath
But some appear in the stamp?
I've been trying with a loop and iPhone to get a few better photos
Just looking for suggestions on a good explanation
It's old and beat don't sound like a thought out explanation for what I'm seeing(I'm sure you've gone threw this a million times, but I haven't so please if you can help a brother out just trying to learn
(These are the 15c but both have similar stuff?

Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   8:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks don
If everyone is in agreement I'll let it go
And thank everyone for the help
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your enthusiasm is contagious and welcome.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coming from you don that means a lot!
Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just came across this link looking for information for another post here

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=82756

hope it's ok to post it? This blue stuff is killing me a little

Apparently this rabbit hole is a deep one for me ATM
So I'll gladly except this award

Sorry guys, I'll buy this book next!

Edited by Just_fella - 03/09/2021 11:00 am
Valued Member
Romania
423 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi just_fella
This stamp is of several types according to the Yvert-Tellier catalog:

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks cupram,
I think I'm going to have to look at getting that catalogue!

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5838 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   2:37 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JF - if you're going to buy one French catalogue, do yourself a favour and get Spink-Maury. Similar price to Yvert and more detailed.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks geoffha,
appreciate it!
I will look for Spink-Maury for sure!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   3:59 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a close-up of the area you're interested in;

I got the 20-21 Spink-Maury for Christmas and it's great.
Edited by KRelyea - 03/10/2021 4:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1127 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oh kRelyea
thank you so much its perfect!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 1,549Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05