Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About This Japan Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 270Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2795 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI all

At first I thought this was another Marker Monkey cover, BUT then I saw that there are indeed some Japanese characters. I think this is simply a cancel they use for large envelopes...

But what about the stamps? Semi-postals from different years?

JD

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31303 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Japanese roller canceller.
For Packets / Parcels.

The stamps look like lottery issues, I'll have a look in Sakura.

Your first stamp 80y+3y is Sc#2874 (2003) New Years Stamps
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/19/2021 5:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2795 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"lottery" stamps???? Inquiring minds want to know...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31303 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All these are New Years Stamps
I'll let you guess the others
Japanese art, takes some getting used to.

Hint: one is year of the boar.

Sheets of 2 stamps containing certain designs, were lottery prizes.
Consult Scott for issues.
text under Sc#2725 for instance

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the New Year's lottery prize stamps (otoshidama yŻbin-kitte) from "my" Year of the Snake: ShŰwa 40 = 1965. (I was actually born in 1966, but before Lunar New Year.) The repeated e-like symbol is the character for the zodiac sign of the Snake. As you can see, the souvenir sheets contained four stamps rather than two back then.
Edited by erilaz - 01/21/2021 12:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The lottery numbers also appear on New Year's postal cards, like the one below. Here's an article about the lottery, with the odds, prizes, etc. for 2020: https://bestlivingjapan.com/nengajyo/

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31303 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating, always wondered about those.
Thanks Erilaz.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2795 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   8:23 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"A Kyoto man, who had no particular connection to the postal service, thought nengajo would be a good way to help people share their whereabouts and aid the country's recovery from its battered defeat. He had the idea of adding lottery numbers to the cards issued by the post office, which would win the recipient prizes. The system started in 1949 and continues today.

The first prize this year, for an estimated one in every one million new year's cards, is an e-money gift card worth •310,000. The winning numbers will be announced on January 17. There is a range of smaller prizes, too, for cards' whose final two, or four digits, for example, are drawn. Take the winning card to a post office to redeem your prize."

I am still a bit confused... do these stamps FUND the "lottery", or are they things that are WON?
Edited by Nells250 - 01/21/2021 8:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Japan issues New Year's stamps of basically three kinds.

1. There are the regular New Year's stamps, which people buy to put on New Year's cards. They're issued for the normal letter rate and the normal postcard rate.

2. Then there are the semi-postals, like those in your post, which have similar designs but are larger, to accommodate the added lottery number and info about prize-winning. They also have a surcharge (3 yen in your examples) to support the lottery. People buy these to put them on New Year's cards, too, but in this case the recipient gets a chance to win one of the lottery prizes.

3. Then there are the "otoshidama" (New Year's gift) souvenir sheets, like the 1965 one I posted. These are lottery prizes. I don't think people can just buy them at the post office.

Instead of buying stamps to put on their own cards, people can buy New Year's postal cards to send to friends and family, like my Peanuts card. (Apparently they now have print-at-home versions, too.) These also have a lottery number on them, giving the recipient a chance to win a prize.
Edited by erilaz - 01/21/2021 11:17 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31303 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again,Erilaz,
thanks for the explanations. Saved.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2795 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
erilaz - AHA! NOW I understand!! New Year's is a big deal over there, eh? :-)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1665 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm reading my Scott correctly, the first New Year's stamp was issued in 1935.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31303 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott is correct Bobby.
Big Deal ? 700 million would suggest so
Edited by rod222 - 01/23/2021 12:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The rise of electronic messaging services has naturally contributed to a continued fall in the number of nengajo sent each year, but it was estimated that Japan's postal service delivered about two billion new year's cards for 2020. In other words ó an average of 15 cards per person.

https://savvytokyo.com/need-know-ja...years-cards/
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05