Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help/Guidance With An Aviation Themed Mini-Album

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 242Next Topic  
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add LeperFish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, this is my first post! Hopefully it is well received and fruitful!

So, I will start by saying the 6 most heard words, spoken to a philatelist..."I have inherited a stamp collection..." Lol
But that's not really what this post is about, but it is how I got "the bug"!

Shortly after getting the collection, I purchased a mini "Canada" collection contained in this book. The book itself is from the Brisbane Aviation Co. Ltd. Training Division.

And, thought that once I amalgamated the hinged contents from this album, to my used/unused keeper album, I would refurbish this notebook with better binding and acid free card stock to be used as an aviation themed mini-album.
I plan on using aero-mail stamps from 3 countries, Australia (partly because of the book, but mostly because it's awesome!), Canada (because ... well ... me!), and America (because it's close, and pretty cool too!), in that order. I have no plans to use anything except engraved pre-1955 stamps.

Prior to the stamps, I thought it might be cool to have some details about Brisbane Australia Aviation Co. Ltd. and need some ideas where to go with that idea, as well as where to find that info.! As far as I can tell Brisbane Aviation is now called/owned by Brisbane Airport Corp. Maybe a website that I can research further, or maybe a contact at the company itself.

In addition to that, I need some help with some ideas of stories, interesting factoids, information on the stamps themselves or information regarding the subject of the stamps below (specifically the Australian examples, but if you know something cool about the Canadian ones that'd be appreciated too!)...

Send note to Staff
Edited by LeperFish - 01/20/2021 02:15 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3817 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great story and this sounds like an exciting project. I am not certain how much I can help but I have some old philatelic magazines (Maple Leaf in Hard cover) When I get a chance I can sift through them to see if I can find something helpful for you.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Dianne
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeperFish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dianne Earl, thank you for your effort!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5634 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LeperFish - You have chosen a popular topic to dive into with huge resources to be had in all forms. I have provided a link to a great book that was recently published on the topic of aviation philately. It is perhaps broader in scope than you want but still makes an entertaining read.

https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Avi...p/1473871867

Here is a link to a great forum for aircraft topical collectors:

https://www.americanairmailsociety....he-horizons/

Don't let the name fool you since the society covers all Countries.
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeperFish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, thanks to you as well!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
665 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   05:17 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australian collectors are fortunate for the number and quality of stamp books we have. Nelson Eustis (later with another guy whose name escapes me) produced catalogues of flight covers. The books have many editions from 1937 to very recently, the various flight covers are listed and have a rarity rating applied.

There is a lot more to your suggested area than just getting one of each stamp.

I'll look for some history of the company on the folder. An Australian historical resource called "Trove" can be very useful.

Have fun with whatever direction your collecting takes you.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
665 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   05:56 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Brisbane Aviation Co Ltd operated from Vancouver. It was established by a Major James Skitt Matthews who died in 1970. A search for his names has him stated to be one of the most important people in the history of Vancouver.

It is amazing where these questions can take you.
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeperFish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you 64idgaf for your efforts and direction!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3749 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   5:46 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to our stamp community!

This issue is bit out of your era being a 1964 issue from Australia.

Australia Post issued a limited number of covers that were on board the plane doing the 50th year special reenactment flight.

It was done by a plane flight company called East West and the captain of that flight signature is on all these limited number covers.

That piolet was my Father in-law being my wife's father. Small world...
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeperFish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty cool KGV Collector! Thanks for sharing! I will look into it and consider inclusion.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05