Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Cancellation Help

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,022Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32550 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   04:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Joy,
I always take a while to fully decipher your posts,
but enjoyable.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
973 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow
Rod and joy your awesome!
It's gonna take me some time to process this too:)
But I'm soaking it all up
I took a picture of the watermark
(No wonder I can't really find much on the squared circular pm's didn't realize there where so many) can't find a queens road either
I also tried to see if I could get anything to show on the Lucknow
nothing but it's dec 9th not 7th like I thought

Edited by Just_fella - 02/27/2021 06:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
India
518 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As expected, the Padmanabhashanku watermark is SG type C i.e. the stamp is Tiruvitamkur 1924 10 Kashu SG 37, as described before.

As Mus type III cds was withrawn from larger Ańchal Offices by 1914, it was scarcely found used in small Branch AOs thereafter.
So, the Kollavarsham year should be either 1100 or 1101, not later than that.

If the date in the cds is Kar 23,1100 it is Aug 8,1925 and if Kar 23,1101, then Aug 8,1926.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
973 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you so much there's no way I would have ever got that
Pillar Of The Community
India
518 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The postmark is Danby type B(c) squared circle cancel of Lakhnau GPO (est. 1801), located in Lakhnau (26.8467°N 80.9462°E), now in Lakhnau district of Uttar Pradesh state.
Lakhnau was the capital of erstwhile Indian Feudatory State Avadh and now the capital of UP state.

Type B(c) did have 2 digit year below the month and date.
Since it is not impressed clearly on the stamp, it can be systematically deduced.

1. The fleuron at the base of the circle appeared in Danby type B(c) cancels only in 1889.

2. The latest recorded date of type B(c) cancel of Lakhnau is Jul 1890.

3. The stamp is Br. India 1890 3A brown orange SG 94.

So, it can safely be assumed that the year in the cancel is 1890.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
973 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Truly amazing!
You are a blessing to anyone trying to learn
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
973 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could I ask just one more?
I don't know if I cleaned up the image enough
I see R.M.S (railroad) just read another post of joy's on stampboards

Edited by Just_fella - 02/27/2021 09:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
India
518 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot read the Railway Mail Service (RMS) Office name. It seems to be a long one.
Below is the Set No. indicating the number of the RMS Sorters who handled the mail with the stamp on.
Pillar Of The Community
India
518 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222

Quote:

…Varanasi (Benares) where the Buddha gave his first sermon.

Buddha gave his first sermon in 528BC after attaining Bodhi (enlightenment) in Sarnath which is 13km NNE from Varanasi.

The exact spot where Buddha gave the first sermon is now marked by the Dhammek Stupa which is still not deemed qualified enough by UNESCO to list as a World Heritage Site.

India 2002 Bauddha Mahotsav: Dhammek Stupa, Sarnath [#8377;4.00]

There is a profusely illustrated topical book on stamps on Buddha.
I would suggest Rod to go thru it.

A Story of Gautama Buddha as Told through Postage Stamps
Binod Shreshtha.
Vajra Books, Kathmandau, Nepal 2018
ISBN 9789937038201
Pillar Of The Community
India
518 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While on the subject of Lakhnau, here is an example of extremely rare Lakhnau POST R O OFFICE (R indicates Raj i.e. empire and O is the initial of the Anglicized version of state name Avadh) experimental postmark (Giles 6) in red on an 1847 Lakhnau–Funchal, Madeira stampless cover (ex-Contractor).

Pillar Of The Community
India
518 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trivia: There is a place called Lucknow in NSW, Australia.

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/eng...-indian-city
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
973 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beautiful cover!
I did know about Lucknow also being in Australia all because of a Canadian stamp on eBay
That was a good video,
One would guess a letter or document somewhere exists with a connection
In either Lucknow
Edited by Just_fella - 02/27/2021 2:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32550 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A Story of Gautama Buddha as Told through Postage Stamps
Binod Shreshtha.
Vajra Books, Kathmandau, Nepal 2018
ISBN 9789937038201

Thank you Joy.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
973 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thank you very much for all of that!
I truly appreciate it
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1778 Posts
Posted 02/27/2021   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a place called Lucknow in NSW, Australia.

Indeed there is!!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,022Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05