Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mailed Without A Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 400Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6201 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stallzer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going through an old cover box I took a better look at this cover sent from Honduras to NY in 1896. At first I thought the stamp was removed of had fallen off but now I believe that it was mailed without a stamp.

The duplex postmark is complete so if a stamp were removed or had fallen part of the duplex would be missing. And why use a duplex and completely miss the stamp? Honduras was part of the UPU so rate I believe was 5 so taxed @ 10 upon arrival. kind of like a collect call?

Send note to Staff
Edited by stallzer - 01/20/2021 10:38 pm

Pillar Of The Community
1388 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting cover. I'm not much into postal history but your analysis seems reasonable. The postmarks tell an interesting story. Leaves Honduras Jan 22, arrives New Orleans Jan 28. Next stop Brooklyn Jan 30. Postage due paid in Brooklyn; if the recipient had moved, who paid the postage due? M L & R is an RPO, right? So would Feb 9 be the date it was received for transit to its final destination? And could someone interpret the Feb 6 postal marking on the back?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning Staltzer and all,

Look on the front side just right of the "T" mark. Gum remnants from the original stamp?

The NYC markings are consistent with an item sent to Brooklyn but then forwarded to NYC for final delivery.

Russ

Edited by hoosierboy - 01/21/2021 08:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6201 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Gum remnants from the original stamp?

That's what I originally thought before tossing it in the cover box a year or 2 back. Wasn't until I really dove into it that I realized it's not gum residue.

It even has the appearance of something almost square being there but looking at it under magnification and light it's just some stain. I also believe that if there were a stamp on the cover then why would they intentionally miss the stamp with the duplex cancel?

I haven't been able to identify the M.L.& R postmark.
Pillar Of The Community
3367 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mark reads "MI&R", rather than an L. I see no railroad aspect of the mark.

The January 1992 issue of LaPosta, page 46 makes note that .... "another cancel MI&R also used on due mail" ... in the 1895 time period with a New York oval containing "UD" which they speculate may stand for undeliverable mail. So there is a very good chance that "MI&R" stands for something in the nixie or directory searcher or postage due mail areas.
Edited by John Becker - 01/21/2021 5:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6201 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John for pointing me in the right direction. It is M.I.& R = money, inquiry, & return and looks to be a postage due duplex cancel.

I found it here, scroll to the last images.

https://www.rfrajola.com/Porter1/porter1.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
3367 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent. I learned something today too.

However, the link says: "It is thought the letters MI & R means money, inquiry, and return", while your post turns this supposition into a statement of fact, which stretches the original statement.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31333 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
which stretches the original statement.

Fabulous,
A lot of us have been guilty of that during our collecting years.
I am certainly guilty.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6201 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, the link says: "It is thought the letters MI & R means money, inquiry, and return", while your post turns this supposition into a statement of fact

Apologies John, didn't mean to ad-lib on on the display description. However one thing I have learned in philately is that if Richard Frajola states his belief that something is what it is then there is an extremely high probability he is correct.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
579 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if Richard Frajola states his belief that something is what it is then there is an extremely high probability he is correct

I would generally agree with that statement; however, Richard didn't say that - the link is to an exhibit hosted on Richard's website but authored by Ray Porter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6201 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, we're getting a bit pedantic over this, apologies for even posting the reference.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 400Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05