Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Country Divider Pages For Scott International?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 185Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jabber to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since I'm going to be spending approximately the next collecting year, likely, moving over the contents of 21 Scott International Jumbo ("Too Big Blue") albums into (30? 35?) Scott Regular binders (see the thread "Experience With/Advice Around Scott Binder Repair?"), I had a crazy thought of a project to do while doing so: interleaving country divider pages.

Did Scott ever make commercially available divider pages for each country, say, with tabs to help you locate where "France" or "Madagascar" starts? Or has anyone ever tackled such a thing?

I 100% know I am asking for trouble taking this on, but I figure, I never want to repagninate this album again in this liftetime, so now's the time...

I'd just do it as a custom printed thing (maybe with a map or flag on the page proper) but I'd likely have to buy a tabloid/wide-format printer for the funky International page size. (Though I have managed to print a few custom Scott International pages onto official Scott cream colored page blanks in a regular inkjet, by folding over one edge and feeding as a single 8.5" wide page - not really recommended though if you like your printer.)

John B
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
925 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure I've ever seen country divider tabs, though there are dividers for the Scott National album. Not sure how'd you make them or who would make (or sell) them, either. But first do you "need" them? I have a 36 volume Scott International album, but my volumes are smaller 2.5" size International binders which were an option once sold by Subway Stamp Shop, though no longer, so maybe equivalent to 25 Scott binders? Not sure. Anyway, I do not use divider tabs in my albums and haven't ever felt I needed to.

My albums are arranged alphabetically throughout rather than the (weird) Scott way of beginning again at "A" in each volume for every decade or less. I rearranged all my pages which took me about a leisurely week to do (sitting on the floor). So each volume has anywhere from two to maybe six or seven or even eight countries. Finding a country in a volume is just a question of flipping quickly through the pages, and in the volumes which only have two or three countries, that just takes seconds. With more countries, it takes a little longer but not much -- or not enough for me to want divider tabs.

Also the dividers would stick out beyond the edges of the pages. That's their purpose, after all. And I think that means they'd rub against the back of the slipcases I use. With no slipcases, I imagine they'd rub against the back of the bookcase they're on. And I think they'd look a bit odd sticking out of the binder which they would do.

So finding binder tabs for all the countries of the world (living and dead) might prove impossible, but whether or not you really need to use them is the first question to ask yourself.

If you do decide to use them, either find country name labels, use a label maker, or handwrite them and stick them onto the appropriate binder tab pages. What would those be, though? They'd need to be heaver paper or card stock in the size of the International pages. So where do you find that size page? Maybe a print shop could make pages that size for you?

Seems a bit complicated, doesn't it?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 01/22/2021 03:05 am
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in the midst of doing something similar. I have Harris Citation albums (U.S. is in Liberty albums) all bought used. Rather than maintaining the alphabetically by country arrangement I am reorganizing things by geographic region (Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East, Africa, etc.). Then it will mostly be alphabetically by country within the region, with an index page with perhaps a map at the start of each region. In case someone comments, yes this will sometimes involve transferring stamps to new pages (Steiner or blank quadrille).

The Harris albums have a 9" x 12" page size and the blank with border refill pages from Whitman Publishing are not suitable for me. I buy ledger paper which is 11" x 17" (Neenah Bright White Cover 65 lb., I would have preferred something not so "bright white" but I can live with it). I did buy a HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 printer which handles ledger paper I justified the purchase because I have other uses for a scanner bed that size. Otherwise the local Office Depot (and I am sure every other print shop, and they all offer discount coupons on a regular basis) will print my designed (usually modified Steiner) 9x12 album page onto my brought in ledger paper for around 16 cents a sheet double sided. Others might be more proficient about this than I, but I've learned to print my 9x12 page design onto the 11x17 paper and then trim it down rather than trim first and try to set a printer up for a custom paper size. If printing on both sides just set it to flip on the top rather than the side and your page design will be centered on both sides of the sheet.

Okay, that was a long winded comment on how to deal with unique album page sizes, which are different for Scott than for Harris, but the same approach would work. For labels I use Avery UltraTabs which are 3" wide, 1-1/2" tall (the write on tab area is " tall), and repositionable (which is a really convenient feature, at least while I'm still getting my lay out organized). They can be written on but I use a Brother P-touch label maker for a much nicer appearance. The tab can be labeled or written on both sides, or just the front side. I am tab dividing just the regions for now, I may or may not decide to tab divide and label some countries within a region. If so I would probable use a narrower version of the UltraTab for the country labels. I am using the same 65 lb. paper for the tab divider that I use for album pages and it works fine. If I find a heavier ledger size card stock where I don't have to buy a whole half ream I may use that, which is another reason to like the repositionable Avery tabs.

I think you would like having tabbed dividers. Though there is perhaps not an off the shelf product (I am not at all familiar with Scott albums) it should be relatively easy to innovate, as I am doing with my Harris albums.
Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   2:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More information on choosing quality album paper (also applies for dividers) that will not damage your stamps over time
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/H...sePaper.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1504 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few tab dividers that I used for an Eastern Europe 4 country album that I thought I would sell off during my major downsizing couple years ago and did not want to lose any of my International filler strips. They worked fine, but the cardboard is real thin and the tabs haven't held up real well. I did decide to keep the album, which is an International Jumbo.

Years ago, H. E. Harris sold country name moisturized strips as part of their blank Speedrille pages packages. I don't use Speedrille pages any more because they're too thin. But I still use some of the pre-printed country name labels.

Lots of this old stuff is coming onto market. It's just a matter of watching the supply sections of auctions from the major auction houses. And I've done very well buying old-style supplies in the periodic auctions at the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library. Thanks to several RMPL sources, I'm also well stocked with the old Dennison and Fold-O hinges.

Back to the O/P, I'm sorry that you have to shift your pages from International Jumbo to Regular binders. I vaguely recall an unavoidable accident happening. For me, the Jumbo binders that I bought in 1983-84 have held up very well with no repairs needed. The do need some special handling though.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05