Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Austrian Offices Abroad - With Varnish Bars - 42A?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 237Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi - in my sorting of world stamps - I believe I have an Austrian Offices Abroad stamp - it is on Granite paper..supposedly it is 42a which is with Varnish Bars - what exactly am I looking for? what do Varnish bars look like - I am not seeing anything. Thank you :)

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31347 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmark probably Salonici (Thessaloniki) Greece.

Angled Strips of varnish, laid on the paper prior to printing.
If washed in water, the varnish dissolves taking with it part of the printed image.

Nora,
try holding it up against a strongish light, I think I recall them being visible.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/21/2021 10:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ROD - Yes let me try that. I do not want to mess up the stamp. I assume they did this to keep people from cleaning the stamp and reusing? Gracias mi amigo.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
719 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, if you angle the stamp obliquely under a light, the varnish bars show up very well.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31347 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes re-use protection.

My opinion, the Chinese had the best re-use prevention idea.
(But rarely seen)
Their hand held cancelling hammers, had knurled outer rings, which penetrated the paper on strike.
(results look similar to an US grill puncture)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
635 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michel says that stamps with varnish bars can be cleaned in water without harm, but not if the soaking is prolonged: "darum Vorsicht beim Waschen!"
Pillar Of The Community
561 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Postmark probably Salonici

Agree, but it mustbe Salonica, Salonika, or Saloniki. Salonici is just about the only ending never used.
Edited by NSK - 01/22/2021 11:08 am
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add boydxbiggs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod has furnished a great example of varnish bars. In my experience, the varnish bars are almost always visible to the naked eye, although sometimes you have to hold the stamp at different angles to catch the light just right. It doesn't look like the stamp that is supposed to be 42a has varnish bars -- sometimes they're easier to see on the back than the front, but I'm not seeing them -- although they might simply be faint and show up better under a different light. If the stamp has been soaked a lot, that might cause the varnish bars to fade or disappear.

There is a whole article on varnish bars on a website called austrianphilately, but I discovered that it is not allowable to post a direct link.

The cancel is Salonika (Thessalonike), which remained under Turkish rule until 1912.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all - I believe that they have the wrong cat# - I do not see the varnish bars.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
719 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then it would be a Scott 42, without the varnish bars.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 237Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05