Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Purchases -- How Long Is Too Long?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 803Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
612 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:19 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 1typesetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased an item off the Bay that was shipped on 12/28. I have purchased other items since then that have been delivered.

I opened a claim on 1/18 and the seller responded that the item will still arrive and to be patient. eBay says I have 30 days for any relief (refund).

How long do you wait to file a nondelivery claim? What happens if I wait over 30 days?

Anybody else experience an extremely long delay?

Item origin: Nevada. Item destination: Florida
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7400 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am still waiting on items shipped on 14 December, although I have received one item that was shipped less than a week ago. Go figure,

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
537 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ship many items a week for my business so I am repeatedly in the post office asking why all the delays. They can't give me answer. But they do try to find the item. Most of the time it is still in my nearest postal distribution facility. For many days just sitting there! All I can figure is they are holding items to quarantine? This is all my products not just stamps. In the US all my items eventually get delivered but way late. My shipping overseas has stopped because many have come back to me months later. With no explanation why. Then I have a very frustrated customers. I can't have that!
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1477 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday I received a Christmas card mailed on Dec 21. I sent a check to a dealer in England that took five weeks to arrive. All of our usual expectations are out the window currently. I think it's a combination of USPS understaffing and time-of-year mail volume, exacerbated by the mail-in ballot spike that had a ripple effect on the handling of other types of mail. Typesetter, if you know and trust the seller I'd give it more time.
Learn More...
9274 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I have been doing, I wait until day 22 and send "No action needed, just to inform you that I have not yet received Order #12345" to the seller via eBay message system. If it still does not show by day 28, I contact the seller again and let them know the status and that I will open a case with eBay the next day but that if the item arrives that I will certainly let them know and pay for it.
Don
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The post office has been very slow with deliveries, especially anything shipped in December. I've have several items take longer than 30 days to make it to their final destination (sometimes via very unusual routes).

I would keep an eye on the tracking information if you have it. Depending upon how it was shipped you should see some movement about once a week, although I've seen things take a bit longer. There's also been issues with packages not being scanned.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wait until a couple days before the deadline and then I send a message letting them know. I then file for a item never arrived claim at the end and also ask for a way to pay them if it does show. I never want to short someone money especially if it eventually shows up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
612 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   12:11 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately the seller did not put tracking on this item. It was a little over $100.
When I ship I ALWAYS put tracking on anything over $50.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6161 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS tracking is useless at this point. The only solution for on time delivery is to use another delivery service. That is the reality. I requested Fedex shipment of a $1,000 set of stamps this week from an auction house and they still sent it USPS Priority and guess what? It has gone on the proverbial Magical Mystery Tour. You cannot fix stupid.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
483 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both the seller and I are still waiting for a $1300 shipment sent Oct 01 via USPS Registered Mail from New York to Oregon to re-surface. Tracking stopped Oct 6 and no one has seen it since.

I got a refund, but the USPS denied the seller's insurance claim. How's that for efficient postal service?

The seller has an attorney involved now.
Edited by uboatnut - 01/22/2021 12:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3536 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am baffled why anyone would use registered mail these days when virtually every other method is faster - and apparently safer.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6161 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old habits I suppose John. I don't see the benefit myself.
Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Different countries involved but the same scenario. I purchased some postal stationery items from an eBay seller in Singapore in mid November. Expected delivery posted due to COVID ranged from Dec. 23/20 to Feb. 3/21. This range was already outside of eBay's 30 day claim policy. The items arrived this week, ahead of their maximum delivery forecast, but still over 8 weeks by airmail.

So what should I have done, open a claim on day 28 when even the most optimistic delivery could not have been met? I decided to do nothing and the item arrived within the expected delivery time. I'm not sure what eBay would have done if I tried to raise a claim on Feb. 1st, 2 days before the last day of the range.

These times require patience. I get very annoyed when I sell an item for delivery from Canada to the USA and I get a snarly message after 5 days that a claim is going to be launched for non delivery. Even before COVID, such a quick delivery between countries would have been rare.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   1:44 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since you have an open claim, the seller will either have to refund you in another day or two or eBay will step in and do it automatically, unless you close the claim. [As a seller, I have strong opinions about this.] If you are willing to be patient, you can close the claim and then reopen later.

It is my understanding that you have (as a buyer) 30 days to open the claim so you should protect your rights one way or the other, though the prior commentary about informing the seller you will pay (or return the item) if/when it eventually arrives is good. I would add (from experience) that eBay provides no mechanism to reverse a refund or to make a payment for a subsequently received item and makes it very difficult to get in direct contact with the counterparty to a transaction, so you might want to get the seller's email address so you can communicate and make a paypal payment for the item if it comes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
note that the "30 days" is from the estimated delivery date, not 30 days from purchase.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1120 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   3:07 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently had a late delivery approaching 30 days when all of a sudden a new tracking entry showed up. I contacted the buyer to suggest he close the case, but no response. So with a day or two before it was forced closed and I was given a nasty mark on my rating, we could see the item was not lost. Rock and a hard place - I either refund and hope the buyer stays in touch or take the demerit. Third option was to call eBay customer service. They understood and put the claim on a 10 day hold to allow time for the package to arrive. It was delivered a few days later and the claim closed. I write this, because this is not the first time I found eBay customer service helpful. It's easy to be mad at eBay for things, but I've had nothing but good things to say about customer support when I raised a legit issue.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 803Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05