Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

3 Different Perforation Varieties Of Au $1 Fun Run? Please Verify

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 269Next Topic  

1 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rolcsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to post an observation of the Australia SG1192 (Scott 1118, Michel 1186) Fun Run stamp of the 1989/94 Sports series.

First of all, both Michel (2012/13) and Scott (2008) mention 2 varieties. Both list the more expensive, rarer variety with a perforation of 13 1/4 X 13 3/4. I have 6 copies of this variety and I have 2 different perforation gauges from 2 different countries. Both indicate a perforation of 13 1/4 X 13 1/2 for this variety. Not a huge difference, but considering both catalogues are off by a quarter, I found this an interesting discrepancy in itself.

Nevertheless, both catalogues list a second, cheaper variety, which Michel lists with a perforation of 14 X 14 1/4. I believe this to be correct (based on my measurements with my 2 gauges) for SOME of the stamps I have here. As a sidenote, Scott (2008) lists this perforation variety as 14 X 14 1/2, which appears to be a mistake.

However, based on gauging 58 copies of this stamp, I have found that there seem to be not two but THREE DISTINCT VARIETIES of this stamp, with a third variety having a perforation of 13 3/4 X 14 1/4. Of the 52 copies of this stamp that do not match the perforation of the first, more expensive category, only 15 seem to have the perforation listed in Michel as the one for the cheaper category. The other 37 copies have a distinctly different perforation. No doubt in my mind. The difference is only a quarter (on the long sides of the stamp, meaning on the "top" and the "bottom"), but significantly different from the 15 others that have exactly 14 holes per 2cm on the long side.

Can anyone with a sufficient number of copies of this stamp and their own gauge (preferably more than 1 different ones) verify this? So again my 3 measurements were:

13 1/4 X 13 1/2

14 X 14 1/4

13 3/4 X 14 1/4

I am looking forward to your observations, this should be interesting!

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32800 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done ! your first post, and you have included Catalogue numbers
A great start !

Only 2 listed in my data base.
Sports series ll $1 Fun Run
Original 14 x 14.4
Variation : 13.3 x 13.6 (Note : Koala reprint)

Quote:
As a sidenote, Scott (2008) lists this perforation variety as 14 X 14 1/2, which appears to be a mistake.

I don't think so, Scott levels up at half perforations if I recall, check your catalogue preamble on guaging.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/23/2021 12:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1982 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding first post and hopefully the beginning of many more!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32800 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps are comb perforated
Merely count the teeth on each respective stamp.

There cannot be a small variance in guaging, other than paper distortion, heat, soaking, drying etc.

If a new comb perforation die was introduced, it would be well documented, I'd suggest.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
729 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Merely count the teeth on each respective stamp

I'm not sure counting teeth will work. They seem to have the same number in the bottom pair if the first image.The middle stamp, however, looks just a bit wider which in this circumstance will decrease the perf.
Edited by itma - 01/23/2021 08:46 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32800 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure counting teeth will work

..and I am dashed sure it will !
Forget the images, one stamp will have 20 teeth the other 21.

A modern comb perforator has a set configuration,
steel pins in 3 inch block of steel.
There isn't going to be any movement there.

Guaging then becomes easy, use a known stamp, (pref mint)and join up the teeth.Similar to identifying Aust Sc#415a ($110)
No perf guage needed.

Edited by rod222 - 01/23/2021 6:16 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32800 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Example:
Note using "used" stamps, carries with it errors caused by unknown husbandry, size, condition and colour.

Here are my Koala Counts, (Mint unhinged)

1 Koala =20 teeth
2,3,4 Koalas = 21 teeth

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05