Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Justin From Connecticut - Inherited Sizeable US & International Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 287Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add xxrootmanxx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All!

As the title suggests, my name is Justin and I am from Connecticut.

Over the summer, my father handed over to me a fairly sizeable collection of stamps acquired by various members of my family. I figured what with the being locked down for who knows how long it may be a neat way to pass the time. Well, those stamps sat on a shelf for several months, and long story short I've just begun diving head-first into it about a week or so ago.

I'm sure it pains many of you to see this, but my intention is to unload the entire thing; piecemeal at first as I weed out the more unique items of my collection. Once I'm confident the rarities have been purged, I'll just sell the rest off as a lot or something, keeping a few things for myself, of course. I simply do not have the time or resources to maintain this large of a collection. If anyone has any suggestions regarding my approach I would be more than happy to hear it.

After a cursory once-over through the U.S. stuff, consulting regularly with Stamp World, Swedish Tiger, and eBay sold/completed, I was able to pull a decent number of what I interpreted to be of moderate value. I took some pictures, determined starting bid prices (probably was totally off with a lot if it), and got it rolling on eBay. I only have about 30 or so listings up currently.

I put the remaining U.S. aside for now (a lot of it is just worthless post-1960 bulk fodder), but I'll dive back into it once I've managed to learn a bit more from this community.

Now I started going through the International stuff yesterday. This is a lot more work, turns out. I honestly cannot hope to accurately assess any of this without either an extensive collection of catalogs that I can't afford (but oh how I wish I could) or the input and sage advise from a community of probably experts.

So yeah. That's why I'm here. I've been having a lot of fun unraveling each little mini mystery piece by piece, and I hope that by joining I can maybe turn this into something that lasts a lot longer than I originally intended. We shall see.

Looking forward to see where this goes!

Justin
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6245 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Justin. Sounds as if you have done your homework and your decision to come here to seek information is a good one. The forum members are an invaluable resource. I very much look forward to reading your posts and seeing the material. Always a vicarious thrill to ride along on the journey.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Justin, I'm also from Connecticut and also inherited a large collection, or as another poster mentioned, a "hot mess" of US, International, revenue and others. Looking forward to seeing what you have.
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Justin,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

It is easy to get overwhelmed when someone drops into your lap such a massive treasure. Take your time to get your bearings. Even if you yourself do not become a long time active collector think about what means the most to you today and potentially your kids and other family members in the future. Even the most common material has greatest meaning to those who can say, "that came from my grandfather, etc."

Russ

Edited by hoosierboy - 01/23/2021 6:47 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05