Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Italy, Scott 427-438: What Michel Catalogue Numbers?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 227Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
635 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This series issued 1942. I'm using Michel Südeuropa 2001/2002 and can't find it anywhere there. Does anyone know the Michel numbers? Or, if Michel doesn't list it, does anyone know why not?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Spain
237 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
That is IT 305/P2
Regards.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
635 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Roberto59. I'm afraid my Michel may be out of date. To what does the /P2 refer? Can't find it anywhere. Is it from something more specialized than Südeuropa?
Edited by EMaxim - 01/23/2021 6:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5164 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EMaxim, these stamps appear just before the official stamps in Michel Suedeuropa catalog.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
635 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I have there are "Marken mit Reklamefeldern (aus Bogen)," i.e., advertising labels. These are the /R numbers, and all are from 1924/5. No /P or any others. So yeah, I think my edition must be too old. Assuming that the editors nevertheless knew that these stamps existed, I wonder why they decided not to list them in 2001/2002.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2119 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My even older copy (1995) has a footnote below the basic 1929 definitive stamp issue that they are found next to number 641, with the above numbered as 305Pc.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
635 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Strange. The footnotes in my copy refer only to a) similar designs "jedoch ohne Liktornebündel," b) same designs but with the overprints of the so-called Repubblica Sociale, and c) three designs with attached "Reklamefeldern" (advertising labels) of 1924/5. There's no reference to #641, though that is, chronologically, where my stamps ought to appear but don't.

Curiously, on that same page there is a footnote that says: "Marken mit Propaganda-Anhängsel von 1942 und Aufdruck siehe bei Marken mit Reklamefeld," i.e., "For stamps with attached propaganda labels of 1942 [my stamps!] and overprint [not mine] look next to stamps with advertising labels." But, no, other than those with advertising labels of 1924/5, there's nothing there.

So, did Michel remove all reference to my stamps in its edition of 2001/2002? Without a note saying so? Not likely. Instead I suspect a layout or printing error, that left a blank space where these stamps with wartime propaganda labels were supposed to be.

Thanks in any case to those who responded. You have provided the catalogue numbers that I needed. Michel, I assume, has corrected the error in subsequent editions.

Edited by EMaxim - 01/24/2021 09:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5164 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some bad editing by the people who put this volume together for Michel.

My copy is the 2007-8 version. All of the information is restored, but curiously, the index on the back cover doesn't correspond with the actual page numbers. For example, the index says Italy begins on page 265, but it actually begins on page 274. So, the problems had not been entirely resolved.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
635 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My earlier edition also has a surprising number of editing errors (wrong design image, duplicate entry in a series rather than two distinct entries, etc.). Still, I prefer Michel's organization to Scott's. Also the handier volume size.

Thanks again to all who took the trouble to check their own volumes. There are so many times when I'd be lost without the helpful members of this forum.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 227Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05