Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Legacy Or Pmg Or Pcg

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 216Next Topic  
Valued Member

15 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have stamp/exonumia items graded by 3 services (Legacy, PMG and PCG).They were bought that way; I didn't pay to have them serviced. I have no opinion on which may be "better" or more generally accurate. I come from the coin world, where among the Top 3 grading houses, they're all basically accurate (unless you're reallyreallyreally a hair-splitter). Either way, a slab and grade is pretty much spot on with them, but esteem among collectors and buyers might be another thing that might sway things one way or another. Maybe ...

Anyway, I have some stamp items that don't need to be "experrized" inasfar as their genuine-ness and authenticity. I would jist like to have them, for the lack of a better term, graded by a professional service, either for peace of mind for my heirs, or if one day I'd like to sell them and have the backing of a professional service as to their quality.

So in a nitshell, what might be the pros and cons of the 3 services I've mentioned, going forward? Or are there others as well? Or do we not discuss such matters here to avoid wars breaking out?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by STTScott - 01/23/2021 5:05 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4328 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are coin/currency grading companies. Stamps use PSE and PF. Coins and stamps are quite different in the need to grade. Save your money.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
15 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@redwoodrandy: So are you suggesting that it's not worth doing anything with my full sheet of purple Federal Building 1933 Century of Progress 3-centers beyond storing them as is? My original intent was to bust up the sheet to use in a historical-leaning commercial project, but I thought I'd check with those far more seasoned than me first instead.
Edited by STTScott - 01/24/2021 07:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5370 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As advised on your specific thread, the sheet is an attractive piece with limited financial value. There's no point in wasting money on grading - just store it carefully if you want it, put it on eBay if you don't.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why would you break up that sheet that has some value? You can buy singles or blocks of that stamp for a few dollars. And to reiterate what others have said, no, do not send that sheet for authentication or grading.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 216Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05