Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Return Of The Imperf Press Sheets

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 108 / Views: 5,735Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6598 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS needs to stop manufacturing scarce stamps. All this does is line the pockets of the few that accessed the limited amount produced. It is nonsense to have to compete with others for a USPS product sold in real time by the USPS. And yes, I realize that this behavior goes back to the 19th Century with Special Printings, the Columbian series and the like.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam: I agree with you. The USPS either needs to produce enough of the NDC press sheets to meet demand ... or cease marketing them altogether. The NDC press sheets currently are nothing more than "right-side-up airplanes" in another guise ... though in somewhat larger quantities.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree a subscription system would work best. At least that way those who want to collect these things will be on board from the start, and if they sell out too bad for those not subscribed. They could limit the amount purchased by subscription too.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I marked the day and called usps this morning at 845 AM. Evidently that was too late for Star Wars Droids with out die cuts. Which are actually sheets of 4 panes and not 8 as the catalog suggested. Amazing the level of inaccuracy.

Anyhow after 25 minutes on hold, told by the agent they are sold out for phone orders. Annoying as hell. Said it seems dealers are somehow getting them all and marking them up huge in the secondary market.

So I'll call earlier next time. By the way my mail order for the sheets mailed in three weeks ago was not in the system and I suspect in a few weeks I'll get the letter from usps it was sold out.

Incredible!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
71 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was told the USPS subscription program can support NDC press sheets only. While on the phone this morning, I supposedly was signed up for it.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My dog had to go potty at midnight last night so I thought I'd check the USPS site for the Star Wars without die cuts. Looks like it never was even posted and I rechecked at 5 am also. This is crazy. How is the average collector suppose to ever get these before the big dealers gobble them up.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6598 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linn's notes that the
Quote:
Chien-Shiung Wu press sheet without die cuts issued Feb. 11, was never offered online, and apparently somehow sold out before the issue date.

Sold out before the issue date? Really? If it smells like a rotted mackerel it is a rotted mackerel.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   09:46 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam - yes it never made it on line to the postal store. Those folks who lucked out and got the Wu press sheet ordered them BY PHONE and it sold out in an hour. Same thing apparently has happened to the Star Wars issue. I saw the regular press sheet in the store and it was sold out in 1 day. Imperf never even made it to the store.
Edited by stampCat7 - 05/05/2021 10:43 am
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is no different than when a popular performer or group gave a concert. If you did not get on that phone first thing you were out of lunch. I called promptly at opening and got a Star Wars press sheet.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6598 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a collectible not a concert.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5231 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   05:02 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's similar to how the U.S. Mint has released certain proof and uncirculated coins and sets over the last decade. Phone only, and if you're not robocalling, or using multiple lines you don't stand a chance of getting any. See also the release of the Sony Playstation 5 due to COVID. Online only, not in any stores, and they sell out in under a minute anywhere they appear in stock due to the botters/scalpers swooping them up for resale. I've been trying to get one since late last year but have simply given up. I'm not about to pay a $300 premium from some d-bag scalper.

Welcome to "the new normal".
Edited by revenuecollector - 05/08/2021 05:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6598 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And of course we do not know quantities printed since the USPS no longer feels it is public information. I would like to know. Are there 10,000 out there now? 100,000 that were scooped up that fast and if so how so.

Has anyone seen any of these new "special" issues show up yet for sale by the usual suspects?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6598 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a listing on eBay for $75 per pane:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133753887545
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6598 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chien-Shiung Wu single pane, 8 available and 2 sold, price $145 + $3 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133705041932
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well one interesting thing about Star Wars droids sheets on quantity. As the USPS rep was confirming that I just missed out after being on hold 20 minutes, he said the announcement just came down internally in an email, no more phone orders but advice callers that 200 press sheets of four (not 8 he confirmed the print catalog was wrong on format) would be placed on sale on the Stampstore website later that morning.

I watched and Droids did become available later morning but it was the With Die Cuts press sheets. I passed on those but they were sold out on the site in a few hours.

Considering the print quantities of each have tended to be the same, With and Without Die Cuts, it's possible there were also only 200 press sheets of the Imperf.

I was also told by the agent the only way to guarantee getting them is to have a subscription, but the last date to sign up to guarantee the 2021 issues was December 31, 2020. I signed up so I will get a sheet of the 2022 issues. 2021 aren't guaranteed. He said I'm unlikely to get the 2021 upcoming issues.

Annoyed at $75 a pane to keep my collection for my kids complete! But then if there are no more than 800 panes possible then that might still be a bargain.

USPS really needs to be transparent on quantities issued. Hopefully Linns will follow through with a Freedom of Information request and a story so we can know what really is going on here.

It seems to me if everyone is signing up for subscriptions now, the agent told me many are, that they might be filling orders, printing to subscription demand, and then some smaller extra amount for day of orders to avoid an "availability" problem.
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 108 / Views: 5,735Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05