Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Return Of The Imperf Press Sheets

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 109 / Views: 6,273Next Topic
Page: of 8
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Raven story press sheet no die cuts is on eBay for 5000.00
Best of luck to the seller !!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9783 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, collecting modern material such as imperf sheets and 'errors' has a history of being a significant challenge due to speculation. While some collectors might simply just trying to collect this material, it sits inside the 'speculation marketplace'.

I think some of this are sellers who simply list things at ridiculous prices but some of it is speculating dealers and resellers. I also think that the modern issue 'speculation marketplace' has been around at least since I start in the hobby (1970s). I do not have enough information/data to be able to opine about the USPS production numbers and how it might impact sales and profit/loss.

Every market has players who offer various kinds of 'limited' items. For example I was in the market for a new Honda Civic Type R this year. I felt that this car has a lot going for it; a great handling 300 HP, 170mph car with 4 doors (and useable back seats) and a 50 cubic foot hatchback.

In other words, a super fun car to drive that is affordable and a daily driver. You would think that Honda would be selling millions, yet they intentional have limited production since 2017 and only bring in approximately 6000 per year into the US. By making them 'rare', Honda dealers use them as showroom attractions to sell the 'regular' Civics and Accords. Speculation is alive and well with Honda Civic Type Rs with used ones often selling for more than they originally sold for from the dealer. This sucks if you want one, it is a seller's market. <shrugs>

Is this a good strategy for Honda? Honda knows for sure since they have the data and the marketing experts and as a person on the outside and looking in I would not venture a guess. I feel the same way about the USPS and their stamp production and marketing decisions.
Don
Valued Member
344 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some recent issues with low quantity issued numbers that are longer available from the USPS are commanding high prices in the resale market such as the Mr. Rogers (12 million printed) release in 2018. Based on the resale market, a sheet of these stamps has tripled in value since the original 2018 purchase price.

Which 2021 USPS issues do you all think will be worth triple in 3 years?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
78 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI, the 2022 USPS Standing Order Program for these no die cut press sheets will change from a limit of 5 to UNLIMITED.

In addition, from anecdotal evidence, the USPS has been producing more of these NDC press sheets lately.

This will likely end the forced shortage and make them generally available to all and end the gross premiums.

Now if the USPS will either kill off the NDC stamps or make individual panes available...
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 109 / Views: 6,273Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05