Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Slipcases For Variable Sized Scott International Binders...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 312Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jabber to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all again,

So, in my quest to convert my International collection in 21 Scott International Jumbo binders to smaller Regular binders, I bought a handful of used Regular-sized binders on eBay, with mixed success; they are generally solid, some with looser bindings than others, but some variation in binder thickness. (More on that in a separate thread.)

That got me to thinking: What about homemade Scott International binder slipcases! (None of the binders I own, or bought, have the official blue Scott slipcases.)

Now, I know you can buy those $25-$30 slipcases new from Scott to fit the current Jumbo and Regular binders, but there is some variability in the size of the "Regulars" I bought. So I got to thinking/daydreaming...how hard could it be to custom-make attractive Scott International slipcases, seeing as a lot of my binders are already variable in size and I can't buy fitting new ones, anyway?

If I were to do this (and I probably could be easily be disabused of the notion, as it would be a beastly project on top of a project), what material would I use? Are the existing Scott slipcases simply made of the same material as the binder covers? (Card core with the plasticized coat)

I'm not afraid of some light woodworking; maybe use thin plywood covered with contact paper? (Archival materials issues, I am sure, there.) Heavy, thick card scored with a boxcutter and origami-ed? Have I lost my marbles?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5367 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a "how to do it" thread about thus some time ago. Perhaps someone will recall it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31339 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Slipcases, the biggest pain in my hobby, I find them too expensive,
for what appears to be a trivial item, but so important for good husbandry.

I have a work around, which gets protection for about $3 an album.

I employ "stor a file" (used in steel stationery cabinets)
These take 12 of my albums.

Edited by rod222 - 01/24/2021 4:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2630 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The videos on making slipcases I watched on Youtube (Sage Reynolds) all used binder board. See eBay. Hobby lobby has larger sheets of a stiff enough cardboard that would also work. Covering the cardboard cases with material is a bit messy. There is an iron on plastic that will let you glue the cloth to the cardboard, Use good paper to line the slipcases. Starching the cloth is more work but traditional.

Edited by littleriverphil - 01/24/2021 4:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
925 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you could make your own slipcases if you were willing to accept cardboard slipcases. Those could be covered in some kind of contact paper which would not only make them look good but also aid in holding them together more tightly. I use a set of about 30 heavy cardboard slipcases (unpainted and uncovered) for shelves of Prinz ring-binders filled with covers. They were the only size Prinz could find, apparently, to fit their standard 22-ring binders, the type I prefer for covers. At first I thought they looked kind of plain, but now I kind of like them. They're heavy brown cardboard, folded and glued together. You could do that. Experiment with some thin sheets of large paper, folding as you want and discover what works best. Then try out different glues. Ideally, you want a slipcase to be the result of folding one large sheet of cardboard with a few flaps glued to other flaps and so on. It could be done.

I also like Rod's suggestion of those file boxes to put albums into which would be easier, cheaper, and probably just as good in keeping dust and insects oiut.
Edited by DrewM - 01/24/2021 11:02 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31339 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also like Rod's suggestion of those file boxes to put albums into which would be easier, cheaper, and probably just as good in keeping dust and insects oiut.

Not quite Drew,
I live in a wheat farming area, dust is a constant visitor to our parts, I would suggest it will get in (not as much) in the gap at the top. (esp with fans / air conditioners.)

Mine are in a steel stationery Cupboard, so double insurance.

or... have a small material curtain, over the gap.
Edited by rod222 - 01/25/2021 12:28 am
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jabber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do love Rod's multi-bay Stor-a-File solution for the binders. Ready-made and inexpensive. Seems to be an Australia-specific product though. Fellowes (big office supply company) makes something similar but seems to be sold only in Europe: https://www.fellowes.com/row/en/Pro...d=FT-01840EU.

But it also gave me the idea of fashioning something like that in wood or thin particleboard as a whole unit with slots for binders, rather than, say, 20 or 25 discrete slipcases. Much less material and expense.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31339 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the record
"Stor a file" gaps are 85mm wide, which take 2 of my albums.

They come as a flat pack (Cardboard with a paint like finish)
Sturdy in the steel cabinet, but would not take abuse kindly.
Not sitting alone on a desk top.

I have some 7 years old and as new, I like them primarily, as I have 20 albums, per stationery cabinet shelf.
The stor a file, prevents the albums "leaning" when 1 or 2 are removed.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31339 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went Googling US stor a file, and Google decided it knows best,
and took me to Australia
It however, unearthesd a WOODEN version of stor a file. $109 AUD

Pillar Of The Community
925 Posts
Posted 01/27/2021   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes, that's a bit expensive, isn't it. As Rod noted, I searched Amazon and I could find nothing like his files. Slipcases for other albums might fit your albums, though. Or browse some YouTube videos about how to make your own. And yes, hanging a curtain of some kind may help keep out dust. And look chic, as well.
Edited by DrewM - 01/27/2021 03:15 am
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 01/27/2021   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if something like this would work if you put it on it's side. Would need a way to keep the shelves from falling over, but that should be easy to fix. Could probably glue in the shelves. Wouldn't need to be this specific one either.

https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-Mod...sr=8-38&th=1
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2630 Posts
Posted 01/27/2021   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or browse some YouTube videos about how to make your own.

Here's the best series of videos on making a slipcase. After watching a few times, I found it to be an enjoyable and a very useful project.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...ds+slipcase+

Sage uses binder board in these videos which quite stiff, but as he shows us, board has a grain. The cardboard/heavy cardstock I mentioned up thread was 3' x 4' and about 3/16" thick. As I mentioned, plenty stiff enough. All it is going to do is enclose your album, but it will be stout enough to stack them.
The first slip cases I made using foam board ('2x3') from walmart. The pic below has over 20 pounds of La Posta back issues stacked on a pair of foambord cases.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2948 Posts
Posted 01/28/2021   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting videos.
Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05