Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Most Popular Countries To Collect

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 723Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1091 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
According to FORBES Magazine the ten most popular countries to collect are:
United States
China
Germany
Great Britain
France
Canada
Australia
Italy
Russia
India

I myself only collect two of these, Canada and Russia (pre-communist).

Do you agree with their findings?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect "World" - very generally :)

My Focus areas are:
United States
Mexico (not on this list)
France
Great Britain

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1389 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's kind of a dubious, or spurious, ranking. It is roughly based on country size (population), and probably even more on the popularity of philately is a function of population size within each country. It probably tells us little or nothing about popularity within individual countries. China and India are the most populous countries on the list, but China is second, and India is last. I think philately is quite popular in China, not so much so in India. But with philatelists in Commonwealth countries (say GB), I bet India might be just as popular or more so than China. See what I'm getting at?

It would be much more informative to know the popularity by country. In each country, the country would probably lead the list, followed by other countries.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5701 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just how did Forbes arrive at their findings? Data sources?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1829 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit surprised that Italy is more popular than countries like Belgium and Austria.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4593 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have downsized my collection lately. I only collect Canada, Germany, Belgium, US airs only, Hawaii, Iceland and Greenland plus the Faroe Islands. Also I have quit collecting stamps beyond 2000 for these as well and even cut back to the end of the George VI era for Canada. I had to draw the line somewhere.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
719 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it's certainly a list of many of the most popular countries to collect. But without knowing how Forbes chose and ranked them, somewhat suspect...

A count of active listings from Hipstamp - which will have heavy North American collecting bias given where most of the sellers/buyers are located - gives the following -
USA - 1.3M
China - 39K
Germany & related - 282K
GB - 228K
France & colonies - 142K
Canada - 209K
Australia - 116K
Italy & colonies - 67K
Russia - 63K
India - 49K

On Delcampe, the figures for European countries - such as France, Belgium and Germany - are understandably much more dominant than others. Figures available on their main Stamps landing page for those interested.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5701 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really thought that Lundy would have made the list.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
363 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If 'most popular' was expressed as a ratio of the number of collectors of a country divided by that country's population, some place like the Falkland Islands would come top.

If you ignore population then China will come top.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1829 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting point Steev.... this would also be true for BAT, FSAT, BIOT, and Pitcairn Islands.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2523 Posts
Posted 01/26/2021   10:00 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going strictly from what I see in the US, the list looks reasonably accurae, but I would move Canada up at least above France if not hogher and China lower.
Pillar Of The Community
925 Posts
Posted 01/27/2021   02:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I imagine Forbes is pretty much making up their list of countries. Unless they provide some evidence why would anyone believe them? That's not the way real journalism works, and it's certainly not how research is done. So how did they come up with that ranking? It appears to be largely based on population, maybe on national wealth and/or income levels, and so on. That makes the list a guess at best. If they researched stamp sales around the world, that might lead to some useful data. But to do that would be complicated and very time-consuming. They'd need information on what Chinese collectors collect, wouldn't they? And Indian. And so on. Did they do that? Who do you talk to in order to find that out? Whose sales do you count? So, I really doubt they did this. It's probably a fluff piece that makes claims with little to no real evidence.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1091 Posts
Posted 01/28/2021   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3823 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting article Timm, thanks for sharing it with us

I can see why some of the Countries are there.

Germany; US ; Great Britain; Australia; France and Russia have issues a boat load of stamps of the years with a good portion of them affordable and easy to get. I have most stamps for all these countries (some are out of my price range) along with many spares.

I was surprized that India and China made the list. Perhaps because there are a lot of collectors in those countries?

Just my 2 cents worth

Dianne

Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lot of speculation from forum members but here are some interesting facts (thanks for the article link, Timm):
- article is written by a stamp dealer (link to dealer's website is in the article)
- many/most of the most popular countries to collect are also ones he is selling
- the article explicitly excludes stamps valued at more than $1,000 (IMO these are the ones investors should be focused on)

Also, article is almost 3 years old so some circumstances may have changed. It is worth looking at the website to see the percent of catalog that some collections are offered at.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard Lehmann is a regular contributor to the American Stamp Dealer & Collector magazine, with a column on investing in stamps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 723Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05