Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dark Background Cover Protector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Teaus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I use Kristal Kare protective pockets for the my postal history. The protectors are archival quality and are easy to use. The downside is the protectors are clear and I would prefer a protector with a dark background so the cover will "pop" when mounted to an ivory colored page.

Does anyone know of a dark background cover protector that is of archival quality?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2637 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I print a background frame on the page and mount the cover inside the frame.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1464 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Showgard.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
994 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Teaus,

I use black split-back mounts. They are available in sizes to accommodate covers. I get mine from Mystic.

Dan

Edit: added image
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Edited by danstamps54 - 01/30/2021 12:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5467 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could also attach black card to the appropriate section of the page before adding your protective pocket.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@littleriverphil & danstamps: how do you handle mounting a cover where there are markings (backstamps) or stamps on the back? Or do you just make a note with the cover?

I have a couple covers with address, registration etiquette and other info on the front; but all the stamps are on the back. I have a couple more covers with stamps on both sides. I've tried using a "flippable" clear mount attached to the page on top or on the side. But such isn't real satisfactory and I'm not sure if these are suitable for philatelic archiving.

I follow Geoff's suggestion to place a back card between pages with clear mounts. I do use black, split-back, Showguard mounts for covers with nothing on the reverse.
Edited by Climber Steve - 01/30/2021 12:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
994 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there is something noteworthy on the reverse I either mention it in the description or scan the back and add the scan below the cover.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2637 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only in the planning stage of mounting my covers, and intend to use ventilated sheet protectors.
Like Dan, if there is something interesting of the back, I'll scan and print on separate sheet and slide it in behind the previous page.
Pillar Of The Community
953 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may be more of a European approach to mounting stamps and covers in a striking way, but I've seen stamps and covers mounted on black pages. The write up is done either in white ink (yes, it exists) or by printing out a descriptive label on white paper and attaching it to the page which I'd think would look best. The effect is very striking. That way you don't necessarily need mounts, but could use mounting corners (much less expensive). You might get some black pages and see what you think.

I put all my covers into Vario stock pages, either two or three pocket pages. With the three-pocket pages, I stagger the middle cover so all three are mostly visible. With two-pocket pages, that's not needed but you'd need more pages and end up with far more albums to manage. Since the background of my Vario pages is black, the effect is very appealing. And I can print out labels and slide them into the pockets in front of each cover, if I want to.

But really any of the ideas in this thread works well and they all look good. It's really up to your sense of what you like best -- with an eye toward the expense, of course. I'd avoid any method that cost an awful lot of money. For me that would kill the fun to some extent.
Edited by DrewM - 01/30/2021 2:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Teaus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tips as the tips eventually led me to archival methods' website. Thanks again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 38.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05