Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

N I U E Special Overprint?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 456Next Topic  
Valued Member
Germany
21 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RWSD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello there,

has anybody some informations about this overprint with a small "i" instead of a large one?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it really a lower case "i," or a broken "I" in NIUE?
And are you sure it is a legitimate overprint?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 01/30/2021 10:44 am
Valued Member
Germany
21 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RWSD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the fast reply NSK!
The overprint has exactly the same light red colour as the other ones with the normal letters.
I think I have to find better settings for my scanner...
And no informations about broken letters in my SG.
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not familiar with this stamp. The reason I asked is that the overprinting looks very poor. The "U" looks a bit like a horseshoe. The right leg of the "N" and the "I" itself look bend at the top.

I would not expect such bad quality of an overprint at that time.
Edited by NSK - 01/30/2021 11:32 am
Valued Member
Germany
21 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RWSD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok that makes sense. Thanks.

Here is just another image.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The overprint looks real, the "I" is incomplete.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1159 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the I to be complete it would have a bend in it or at least it looks that way too me .
Valued Member
Germany
21 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RWSD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, so let me summarise.

Looks like a incomplete "I", not a lower case "i".

Forging an overprint for a low value stamp makes no sense.

Would be nice to know if it is mentioned anywhere, my research was not successful.
Also the evaluation would be interesting.
Anyway, thanks for the replys!

Regards, Thomas
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32263 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Guess:
Broken type, in letterpress forme, yours showing increased damage to broken character.

https://philatelic.co.uk/product/ni...-for-i-used/
Edited by rod222 - 01/31/2021 8:22 pm
Valued Member
Germany
21 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RWSD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32263 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Observations:
The letterpress overprints, seem to be awash with so-called varieties,
the broken l would appear a genuine flaw, but others appear to be problem with ink, application, or typeset characters.

Sc#91 Tiny break in right leg of "U"

Sc#92 Suggest "Ink Pull" deforming characters
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   03:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two things I find interesting: the gap in your example is much smaller than it is in the one on Mark Bloxham's site that rod222 posted. Also, that one appears straight, whereas yours appears to be taking a bend. That could have been caused by a heavy object falling on the plate. It would be strange for such a gap to progress, but the distortion to be straightened out. So, is it an earlier stage or a different position.

Quote:
Forging an overprint for a low value stamp makes no sense.

"Value" is not always a good indicator for whether or not a stamp is forged. And if I have to believe most friends, stamp collecting makes no sense in any case. Why spend a lot of money on stamps that are no longer valid for postage? One of them thinks it would make much more sense to use the money I spend on stamps to buy a Louis Vuitton handbag. Why should I need a handbag?
Learn More...
9392 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   03:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are multiple reasons to fake/forge an inexpensive stamps. For example the faker may want to practice, they are not going to practice on costly source material. Or a faker may want to produce something unusual to add to his other offerings. They do not want the fake to be high end, they want to open a business relationship with many people so they offer a fake which can be purchased by many collectors.
Don
Valued Member
Germany
21 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RWSD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies!

Heres an overinked one I think:

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 456Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05