Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I Weird? (My Wife Knows The Answer.)

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 980Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone else ever do this? Sometimes when I'm going through Linn's or the APS journal there will be a cover pictured from many years ago (sometime 19th century). with the address shown. I'll go to Google and look up the address because I'm curious to see what's at the address at present. Now that I've typed it out I'm pretty convinced that I am indeed strange/weird.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done that.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34086 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm pretty convinced that I am indeed strange/weird.

You are just unique, we all are, and that's OK.
Enjoy the world of diversity.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6732 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I look up addresses of places I was familiar with at ages 5 - 25 years. It can be strange and scarey.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Teaus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're good as long as you don't get a whim to visit the address in a bathrobe.
Edited by Teaus - 01/30/2021 9:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or a raincoat.
Pillar Of The Community
4084 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although as a caveat, streets do get renumbered on occasion, thus not an exact science. To truly confirm, it would take a contemporary vintage reference like a city directory.

And it's not just old covers. I am aware of a very main street near me which had portions renumbered c1950, shifting numbers by as much as 300 as businesses developed among the residences.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1170 Posts
Posted 01/30/2021   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guilty! But my wife thinks I'm wierd for being a postal history collector to begin with...so there is nothing new here.
Edited by Hal - 01/30/2021 11:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1072 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do this all the time when I run across a town I'm not familiar with. But I also collect antique maps, so to be expected I guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I once looked up a town on a censored cover, and it got me into a whole new collecting interest. One never knows where the pursuit of knowledge will lead.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
643 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:26 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I think is cool is typing in an address of someplace I saw in the news and going to Google maps and when possible go to the street view or satellite view. Then I'll cruise around on a little drive. I've been all over the world. (Well, virtually anyway.)
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curiosity in all and anything is a sign of intelligence
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I meant to say is all learning begins with curiosity
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6732 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Landscapes change and streets move; that is what I was referring to when I said it can be "strange and scarey."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
999 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do it frequently for what are obviously residential addresses. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. My wife has no idea I do this and wouldn't care if she did know.

DonSellos
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guilty as well.

Sometimes whey you research the person, you can discover an interesting history behind the cover. I found a tiny cover with a birthday party invitation sent to an 11-yesr-old boy in Texas. After researching the addressee, I found a fascinating (to me anyway) story about the boy.

It's about halfway down the page at http://goscf.com/t/20916&whichpage=4

Scott
Member APS #174069, PNC3 #2386, AFDCS #29532O, PSS #8418
Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)
Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster
Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 980Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05