Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pen Cancel On FDC ... Bummed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 450Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
618 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add centerstage98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend went out of his way to send me a postcard FDC for the new August Wilson stamp. ... Apparently the official cancel wasn't enough and someone decided to give it an pen killer.

I normally don't mind pen cancels on regular mail because they are legit and kind of fun. But am bothered by this one. Sigh.

Send note to Staff
Edited by centerstage98 - 01/31/2021 4:29 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8097 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us a picture

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
618 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I cannot seem to load image. Tried a couple ways, including Optimizer. Sorry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4049 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Read this primer on how to scan and upload to SCF.

https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/SCF/help1.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2903 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   05:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel your bad luck. I was collecting US pictorial cancels but in recent years, they had to be sent in another cover to avoid a second cancel about half the time. Some people liked to take it as proof it actually went through the mails but it's ugly to me, particularly the dirty spray-on cancels of today. In the olden days (1970s-80s) codes were printed on the back by (I was told) LSMs/letter sorting machines, proving postal usage to me.

Yours was done in in the "last mile", probably by your mail carrier. I used to have mine "trained" not to mark up already-canceled mail. But today, the carrier changes here so often it's pretty much impossible.
Pillar Of The Community
4498 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
centerstage,

re: image posting

The more you help us, the more we can help you. All we know right now is that you have been unsuccessful in posting an image and that you have been directed to a tutorial. Knowing your starting point will enable us to provide a better road map for you. Thus it would be useful to know your image format and file size. You want a jpeg file less than 200k.

My method: Over the years I have posted over 1700 images here. Regardless of what format and size I want for personal use, the images I post here are made to fit the requirements as I scan them. Covers at 100dpi, stamps at 300dpi will work almost every time. I have no need to use any optimizer.
Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   09:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also email me the image and I'll get it posted.
don
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 450Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05