Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Inherited Collection - Can Anyone Help?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 689Next Topic  
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Steve.But to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm sure this is common theme on here, but I inherited a collection from my father who recently passed away after cleaning out his attic and am looking for information on what exactly I might have here. Any help on possible value, interesting finds, or even where to start to do research would be greatly appreciated!

Take a look at the pics below and thank you in advance!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5594 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   5:39 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. Standard stuff, that your father obviously had fun collecting. The Chinese pages would be worth putting on eBay as a group - in my experience, even common Chinese stamps attract interest.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve.But to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Geoff for your thoughts and reply!
Pillar Of The Community
854 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At first glance, the British stamps are very common. The earlier British stamps, mostly, are the lower values from sets. The commemorative stamps, mostly, are from the late 1960. Those have minimal catalogue prices. If there is anything of value, it should be in missing phosphors or inverted or sideways watermark. However, most of the stamps that are known with watermark varieties are also common with those varieties. The majority öf them appear "sound" used.

I agree with GeoffHa. The value is in the joy your father will have had collecting them.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32139 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Close up of this part of the Great Wall stamp, please.
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve.But to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32139 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve,
Hong Kong Print ($1)
The Peking print would have been c$2,000

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7427 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Communist China material might possibly prove a bit more interesting.
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve.But to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate all the feedback from everyone! Ty!

Would stamps from any specific country be worth posting for feedback? That would be of more interest?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
768 Posts
Posted 02/03/2021   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it's monetary value you are querying I would suggest not. The collection is very likely to be of the same general standard throughout. Unless the collector was known to spend good money and use expensive albums, and store his collection carefully, it's very unlikely he would have anything worth very much.

The Great Britain pages for example, only three Queen Victoria, all very common. These are the kind of stamps you just pick up without trying. It follows if the stamps were not purchased for much to begin with, they won't be worth much now. They are interesting and worth looking into for your own curiosity/interest. Some have little stories to tell.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my view of value:
The 2 reddish Great Britain ones (first page, top left) could possibly be worth something. Most likely not, but worth checking which ones they are, and the plate number in the scrollwork if applicable.

Orange stamp with overprint in same row is Ireland, some of those are worth a little something.

Postage due stamps on pg. 2 could be worth something, depending on the watermark.

On first china page:
the 250 blue one (row 4)
yellowish one on bottom row

on pg 2 of china
4 on right on bottom row

pg 5 of china
bird stamps at bottom (make sure not reprints though)

pg 6 of china
bird stamp (same about reprints), the 3 stamps in row 2 and the 1 on left in row 3
flag stamps on bottom row (make sure not reprints)

pg7 of china
2 on left in row 1 (make sure not reprints)
2 on left in row 2 (make sure not reprints)

pg8 of china
the 2 with big red flags at bottom (make sure not reprints)

That's just what caught my eye....should give some direction on things to look up online or preferably when you see a catalogue!

Most of what is shown has minimal value though, but there could be some others with value, that are just hard to ID through a photo.
Edited by bmbmbm - 02/07/2021 10:13 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 689Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05