Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hawid Closing It's Doors

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,352Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7100 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another SCF member posted this news within another topic and I feel that it deserves it's own topic.

Apparently Hawid will be shutting down in June of this year. Very sad to me.

https://blog.norphil.co.uk/2021/02/...30-2021.html
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   3:44 pm  Show Profile Check knick1959's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely requires its own thread. Thanks for the heads-up. I have a small stash here, but certainly need to plan ahead. And then research the other suppliers. I will no doubt need a substitute at some time in the future. Terrible news!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that explains why Lighthouse is now making their own mounts in a new package. It is getting harder and harder to find the older Lighthouse packages with the Hawid manufactured mounts.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a Hawid fan.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very unfortunate. I am a big fan of clear Hawid mounts.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7100 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So just how many actual manufacturers, not just brands that come off of the same production line, of mounts are there left now?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33550 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes very disappointing.
I have bought from Hawid direct, but was extremely costly with freight
and currency exchange.

Luckily I bought 5 Kilograms of mainly Hawid, a few years back, from Canada.
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is very distressing news as I'm a big fan of Hawid. I suppose that I need to start stocking up now. With any luck, though, someone will step up and buy Hawid before they close their doors. Perhaps Lindner or Prinz? If they do close their doors, I wonder if, years from now, people will run across old packs of Hawid mounts, stick them on eBay and sell them for outrageous prices like they do vintage Dennison hinges?
Edited by Coastwatcher - 02/05/2021 11:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 02/05/2021   11:26 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"It is reported from Germany that Lindner, Safe, and Lighthouse are also made by HAWID."

Oy veh !
Learn More...
United States
4729 Posts
Posted 02/06/2021   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sad news, indeed.
Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6506 Posts
Posted 02/06/2021   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is a third world manufacturer the best chance for revival?
Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
Posted 02/06/2021   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As already mentioned by me in a previous post, Lighthouse is already selling their own production in a new package format at a lower price. Other alternatives are Uni-safe, Scott Mounts, and Showgard which I do not believe are affected by the Hawid closure.

Personally, I still prefer the Lighthouse mounts produced by Hawid, but as various sizes are becoming unavailable I have started to switch to the new Lighthouse strips and they look just as good, but in my opinion they appear to be more flimsy. Only time will tell how they perform, but so far no problem.
Edited by PMStamp - 02/06/2021 4:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 02/06/2021   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm not mistaken, Scott mounts are provided by Prinz and Prinz mounts, in turn, are provided by Hawid.
Edited by Coastwatcher - 02/06/2021 1:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7100 Posts
Posted 02/06/2021   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And Uni-Safe mounts are made by Prinz.
Pillar Of The Community
3584 Posts
Posted 02/06/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hans Widmaier (Hawid) was the original inventor and producer of the stamp mount.
https://patents.google.com/patent/DE976278C
Edited by jogil - 02/06/2021 9:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lou to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For more info on Prinz mounts and products:

https://www.prinzverlag.de/en/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,352Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05