Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Before You Throw Away Those Curled-Up Hinges

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,056Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add clearsig to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I finally ran out of Dennison & Fold-O hinges, and have had to buy the ordinary sort that is generally sold today. After a pack of these is opened, the hinges will inexorably weld themselves into a wad of tightly curled, firmly glued together cylinders which are very troublesome to deal with, to put it mildly. Grrrrr. I settled down to undo a wad or two of them, and happily remembered an old trick my father taught me seventy years ago. If you have a cluster where the hinges are all oriented the same way, take hold of one end with your left thumb and forefinger (assuming you're right handed), grasp the hinges with your tongs at the end you're holding, and just draw the tongs away from your fingers two or three times, giving the hinges a little upward twist as you do so. When you let go of the cluster, it should magically separate itself into individual hinges. Maybe everyone here already knows this, but I hope it will help some newer collectors who are about to give up in frustration.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is this "Throw away" society you belong to

I have advised repeatedly, using long nosed pointy tongs,
Pick up a bunch, lay them straight along one leg, and bend around the leg, gum facing out.

That's all you need to do.
With a very light dab of moisture on the finger you can pick up one at a time.
Its so simple.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
clearsig: welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll like it here.

I have 16 unopened packages, plus one that is about half empty, of the classic Dennison or Fold-O hinges, so I'm set for a while. I also have several unopened packs, and an opened pack, of the modern hinges. I found the same sticking-together problem that you found. What I've done with the new stuff is simply take a clump in clean hands and bend them manually. No need to use tongs. Almost all come apart easily. I still use a few new ones for common used stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   02:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No need to use tongs.

Offered for reflection.

Indeed, but why?
why not invest in a simple $14 pair of long nose pointies,
learn a skill set, learn to craft your collecting,
Go to stamp clubs and bourses, watch how the professionals navigate deftly around handling stamps with tongs.

Learn how to correctly hinge, these are all basic skill sets that will carry you through your collecting history,
and you will learn how easy and why these tools are used.

Always endeavour to become a better Philatelist.

Lightly touch a block of cheese and wait a few days, your fingerprints will begin to mould.
The best place for your fingers, are on the long nosed pointies.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod: you assume quite a bit considering that we have never met. I've been a collector and philatelist since age 10 in 1960. FWIW, I use spade and flat shaped tongs, not pointed ones, and I know how to hinge. I use methods that work best FOR ME.

Even with 31,000+ posts, I don't think you've earned a right to lecture others.
Regards, Climber Steve
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The post was not intended to be pointed at you.
I am sorry you took it that way.

It was for reflection of the original poster.
I was attempting to encourage new collectors to choose a path to better skills.

I stand by my remarks, if you choose to be offended, then so be it.

Using fingers is encouraging bad habits.
Pillar Of The Community
974 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You must not have intended it, but I have to say your remarks do come across a little condescending. It's fine to describe what you do. It's not so fine to lecture others about what they "should" do (especially if you make it sound as if you think they're completely clueless which I'm sure you didn't intend).

Cheese is organic. It's a food, so it molds. Since I wash my hands, I do do not leave fingerprints on album pages or on any stamps I happen to touch. Nor do they mold. I also lick my stamp hinges. And I use blunt-tipped, not pointed, tongs. I guess I guess I'm just a rebel.

I've collected stamps for well over 60 years, and I collect the way I want to collect. I have no problem if someone says, "Here's what I do." But not "Here's what you should do." Advice is best when it (politely) describes what you do and leaves it for others to decide if that's what they want to do. Stamp collecting has prospered as a hobby for so long not because it has rules, but because it mostly doesn't. You can collect any way you want. As soon as people start insisting on certain strict behaviors in order to be a stamp collector, it will alienate people from the hobby. I mean, really, he was merely describing a tip for uncurling stamp hinges, for goodness' sake!

No one is choosing" to be offended. It's just that no one likes being talked down to.

Here's a suggestion.
Helfpful: "Here's what I do . . . " and leave it at that.
Or say, "I don't like . . . " or "I prefer . . ." and provide reasons in a neutral tone.
Not helpful and a bit condescending: "Do it this way" or you'll never become a "better philatelist or a "professional" (like me?).

For uncurling hinges, I sometimes use my fingernail to stroke the back of a group of hinges fairly hard. That seems to help uncurl them. Or I slightly bend them along their long axis outward away from the inside of the curl which seems to do the same thing. For cheese, I mostly just eat it.
Edited by DrewM - 02/08/2021 8:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was well put Drew. I take it personally because I am who you are speaking to as I often lecture.
I thank you for positive feedback on my future comments.
Regards
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
your remarks come across as condescending.

Right, two opinions, similar.
I'll take that as out of line.
My unreserved apology to Climber Steve, and anyone else so felt.
I'll try to do better in future.

Learn More...
9263 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Posting 'what I do' is fine but can easily be read as 'this is what others should do'. Rod was simply posting good stewardship and 'best practice' which is desirable in a public forum.
Don

Edit: And I did not take Rod's post as condescending. What is condescending is making assumptions about what others are thinking. No one here knows what Rod was thinking or his intentions, if you wanted to know then ask him. He deserves the benefit of doubt.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don,
All is good.
My apology is sincere, I as many others will acknowledge, sometimes we say something, that comes out wrong, or is misinterpreted.

I am not beyond taking advice, and have noted the suggestions.
Perhaps we all learn something about Netiquette today.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5532 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   01:53 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested, it's easier said than done. I had a look on eBay uk for vintage Rapkin Peerless and SG hinges. A few offers are for the tins as collectables, with no hinges. Then there's a lot focusing on the tin, with some very browned hinges that I wouldn't go near. That leaves one tin with some curly hinges.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been collecting for 50-ish years. For a bunch of those years, I worked for a few dealers and auction houses. If there is one thing I learned from my experience, it is that everybody has their 'favorite' type of tongs - blunt/spade tips vs pointy tips. Some like longer, some shorter, tongs. To each his own. I 'landed' on the long pointy ones years ago (ouch! just kidding), and have had no reason to change from them. Everybody's experience is different, along with hand/finger size and coordination.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice.
I am curious. I use short spades. First pair I had were short spades, got use to them and I am now uncomfortable with any other, but that's me.
In your experience Mr. Mooter how/ why do others come to use what they do. If their is that much variance among professionals who are handling stamps 8 hours a day it would tend to indicate it doesn't matter.
Just curious
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My fingers are likely cleaner than my tongs for the most part.

Never judge a man by the size or shape of his tongs.

Is there a topical topic of "cheese on stamps"?

Can you hinge cheese and if so why would you?
Learn More...
9263 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   08:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion all modern hinges are cheesy.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,056Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05