Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Pen Cancellation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 632Next Topic  
Valued Member
171 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add waelshami to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any infos please
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
592 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would appear so from the ends of many lines curving back.
The clerk would seem to have had a lot of time on his (or her) hands to draw an MS cancel so similar to graph paper.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7127 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It must have been a slow day at the post office.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
592 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a couple other similar to very-similar manuscript cancellations recently which I thought I might throw in here even though they are US and do not approach the meticulous graph-paper like work shown in the original post.

These are vendor offerings, not mine: US Scott #1 and #73:

One was even listed with the comment that the postal clerk clearly had too much time on his hands. Might this graph paper impulse have been a widespread global experience among clerks trapped at work waiting for an influx back when there was, relatively speaking, not a lot of mail....

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
592 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just cannot resist adding to this old thread of cross hatch MS cancels lot 15 from the October 2021 Eubanks sale. It realized $15,000.
Now this postal clerk was really killing time.
But clearly, manuscript cross hatch cancels were a thing back in the day.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can hear the bored clerk now "let's see 'em wash this cancel off to reuse it..."

Edited by jconey - 10/14/2021 3:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
593 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Somewhere out there, someone has to have a stamp with a Tic Tac Toe game on it.
Edited by stamps101 - 10/14/2021 7:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
10445 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   9:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can hear the bored clerk...

Or
Clerk who just got his butt chewed for poor cancels and the need to make sure stamps don't get reused thinks; "Ok, fine! They want to pay me to make sure that their revenue is protected…"
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
934 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rather than 'graph paper' cancels, they appear to be a bunch of X's --- kitty-corner lines, rather than vertical/horizontal lines. If I really wanted to cancel something out, I would do a series of parallel slanted lines one way, then the other way, resulting in what you see on these stamps. But yeah. Some postal clerks had a lot of time on their hands!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1051 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like pen, and looks like it was made to look like one of these:
http://www.marcophilie.org/x/x-gri-i.html
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05