Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Buy By Decade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 331Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add staampv to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, newbie here. I started collecting during the pandemic, and am working my way through an "American Heritage" album that gives a sampling of United States stamps across the decades. I feel it's a good introduction to the hobby and it's helping me find areas that Id like to dive into more deeply.

I've made it to 1980 with very little problem (thanks, local stamp club who gave me a ton of cancelled stamps to peruse!) Now that I'm getting more modern, I'm finding it's a little more challenging to find the stamps I need.

Is there a way to search on eBay or another website for a collection of stamps by decade? I don't mind searching through a few hundred to find the one that I like. I'd rather not buy individually just yet, but by assortment.

I guess my question is: what are the best ways to search for stamps by decade?

Thanks and I look forward to reading more posts on this site.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7325 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know only Delcampe lists stamps by the decade

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2637 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can view by year on Stamp Smarter.

https://stampsmarter.org/features/Id_US_RegB.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
768 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's possible to buy year sets, I did that for Canada back when starting out. Searching with "us 1983 year set" on Hipstamp brought up a few matches, so that could be a good place to look.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
994 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done the same thing gmot mentions on eBay.
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had this exact problem also, more years you get since 1980, harder it is to find stamps, particularly used stamps (on eBay)...it seems there is so little demand, nobody willing to supply them because it is a lot of work (sorting soaking--or worse for self-adhesive) for very little return.

One small hint I can add is sometimes people will list stamps by denomination...you can search for example "22c used stamps" and get a few hits
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
606 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might consider exchanging stamps, seek your desired stamps among fellow collector's duplicates.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staampv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are all great suggestions. Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5936 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mystic sells by the decade including right up until the present.

https://www.mysticstamp.com/Listing...m/Year-Sets/
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05