Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Cool License Plate Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 680Next Topic  
Valued Member

21 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mike2006 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I Found these a while ago, but I haven't been able to find anything about them. I have 30 different states, and from the dates on the plates they appear to be from 1969 or 1970.

I was wondering if anybody has seen these before, or have any more info on them.

They are gummed and measure approx. 1-1/2" by 3/4".

Four of them are pictured below.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   12:36 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe they are privately printed poster stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
556 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   05:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mile2006...

Interesting. Thx for sharing.

Have never seen these before. Suspect they are privately printed (i.e., Cinderellas).

Were they printed as part of a single sheet?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
556 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   05:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry. Auto correct. mike2006.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
825 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering if they are part of a kid's game or toy of some sort. Maybe to be stuck onto models or something?
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mike2006 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calstamp and Pascoe, I would have to agree that they are probably privately printed. But the question is for what purpose if any?

If they were from some type of promotion or from some company, it seems they would have been seen before.

After getting a list of states in alphabetical order, and seeing which states I have. It certainly appears these would have been printed in as sheet of the 50 states.

Below is a scan of all 30 stamps I have, in the positions they would be in the sheet. I also cropped an image from an excel spreadsheet showing the states I have in yellow and the missing states in white. You can see the straight edges are a perfect match.

Another thing of note is these are an odd perf 12-1/2, not sure if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks for any comments,
Mike

Pillar Of The Community
United States
556 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My two cents (based on the size of the images and the fact the images are printed in color).

Either part of some promotional (marketing) game. Or for vehicle modelers.

Have not seen anything similar in the philatelic world.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

See below for a complete pane.

Jim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-POSTER-...AOSwJVRgJVk2

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mike2006 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim, Thanks for the link, it's nice to see there are at least some others out there, and even better in a complete sheet.

Jim, that's was a great find, and at a very reasonable price, hope it was you who got them.

Now with part of the mystery solved, I'm still curious who and why somebody would have went to the trouble to print these.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jim, that's was a great find, and at a very reasonable price, hope it was you who got them.

Yes it was, and only because of your post.

Jim
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 680Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05