Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Old Post Card From Paris

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   03:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 103070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi team,
Here is what seems to be a very old Post card from Paris. I have looked all over for this card on the internet but can't find anything.

This post card is a very thin paper type of material. Please see the photos below and tell me what you think. What is the History of this post card and possible value.

***Images Fixed by Mod - Don***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome to the Forum.

Plz try posting again. The image of your postcard did not come through.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 103070 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why I can't get the photos to work, I'm working on it.

Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 103070 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SO, for some reason I am not successful at downloading the images. Can an email be provided so I can send them via email?
Learn More...
9239 Posts
Posted 02/10/2021   03:04 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fixed.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
778 Posts
Posted 02/10/2021   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.historyonthenet.com/bat...teau-Theirry

@rodd222: Strange. The link does not work, the search on that site has its issues, yet bing gets you there.

Let's try another link:

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Bat...eirry_(1918)
Edited by NSK - 02/10/2021 03:39 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 02/10/2021   03:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Typo on the postcard High after read High Altar

NSK "page not found"
Edited by rod222 - 02/10/2021 03:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
778 Posts
Posted 02/10/2021   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was the site of a battle in the Napoleonic War of 1814 and again a major battle in 1918. The picture was taken after that last battle.

Note: the card is not from Paris. That is one of the places where the publisher is located. The card is from Chateau-Theirry in the Aisne.

I have no idea why this site keeps changing Thi-erry into Theirry. I corrected it a few times, but it keeps changing the spelling. I had to insert the "-" to keep it from doing it here as well.
Edited by NSK - 02/10/2021 03:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5517 Posts
Posted 02/10/2021   05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were widely produced, and many war-damaged French and Belgian towns can be easily found

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWI-x-60...AOSwKzVgIrFy
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 103070 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Than you Don so very much for fixing the images.
Thank you all so very much for your feedback.
What is the guesstimated value of this card?
Pillar Of The Community
778 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   03:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears the asking price for this type of cards can be up to 9 a piece, but I doubt they are sold at such prices. You, probably would be lucky to get 1, a few cents being more likely.

As the link GeofHa provided shows, 60 of them attract a bid of 1.
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 103070 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NSK, very much. Let me ask you this...what kind of Post Cards are most valuable? I have a bunch that my Grandmother had put back and gave me many years ago and I pulled them out of storage.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5517 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's too big a question. Subjects that have a particular interest to people - from sport to suffragettes, What is rarely worth more than a penny is the view of Paris someone's ancestor sent in 1920. Try this site for more background on postcards

http://www.metropostcard.com/index.html
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 103070 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Geoff-la.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05