Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US 1890 Grant 5c Chocolate - Assessment Of Flaws

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 421Next Topic  
Valued Member

Netherlands
83 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bloemzee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I do not have many unused stamps, but this is one of them. I am learning about the major effect of flaws on value. Especially for old stamps like 5c Grant, average storage will always lead to flaws. Can anyone give me an assessment how such stamp is judged? Are we talking lots of flaws here, or minor flaws?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
865 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Average storage leads to damage. Flaws occur during the printing process.
Damage lowers the value. Flaws can increase the value, especially when rare.

Minor flaws, often, make a stamp more interesting, but do not command much premium.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 02/11/2021 3:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6431 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part of examining a stamp is seeing the back as well. Very important. That being said I see at least two margin tears on the left side along with some staining. There is at least one dark blackish area on Grant's face that could be a light cancel marking. Also some pulled/blunt perforations. Again, need to see the back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
783 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends upon whether you are referring to faults or error/freak/oddity (EFO) flaws.

If faults, then you need to check both sides of the stamp because some flaws may be on front (scuffs, stains, etc.), back (gum problems, thins, stains, etc.) or both (tears, creases, toning, etc.)

For the stamp shown from the front side there are creased perforations, edge tears, and toned perforations, and there may be other flaws.

Different types of faults and severity have varying impact on value reduction.

If you mean EFO flaws, they generally command a premium, but again, it depends on the type of EFO and extremity.

It really depends upon the individual stamp to evaluate these things.
Learn More...
9504 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp also appears to be toned.
Don
Valued Member
Netherlands
83 Posts
Posted 02/13/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bloemzee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hereby the back. In meantime notice I managed to find a nice black background. I'm improving :-)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6431 Posts
Posted 02/13/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of that hinging is problematic, in particular the paper stamp margin pieces. It may come off cleanly but some of it may very well not come off. It is commonly described as "Heavily Hinged" as pictured.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1754 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any gum on this stamp, which is good if you have any plans to get rid of the hinge remnant. If it is entirely without gum already, go ahead and soak it as you would a used stamp and you will be rid of the attached remnants. That said, before you soak make sure that the remnants are not hiding a repair or damage that will be revealed once the hinge is gone.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05