Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Cancel On Hong Kong Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 532Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This stamp's cancel has had me baffled for years now. I would like to know, what does the entire machine cancel slogan say, and what country was this cancelled in? It looks so familiar, I think it was cancelled in the USA, or perhaps Canada? I would be grateful if anyone can help me figure it out.

Linus

(from my collection...)

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only have 2 Block barred part machine cancels in 506 Hong Kong stamps.
1954 QE2 with ?? SAFETY
and the other modern 1968 stamp.

I'd suggest it is of Brit origin,
Only ??OT I can think of is PAQUEBOT but I have no confidence in that. I don't recall seeing PAQUEBOT in a machine cancel before.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3528 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222,
You may be onto the solution. Yes, there are paquebot machine cancels. I would not be surprised if the slogan box read:

PAQUEBOT
POSTED
AT SEA
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes, that seems very possible! I will keep digging, maybe in my Great Britain covers. Thanks!

Linus
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found mine, ROAD SAFETY

Yours not shown, maybe a recieval mark from another country?
Perhaps ask here
http://www.cpa-hk.net/eng2/topic-e.htm
Edited by rod222 - 02/14/2021 10:19 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant! John,
I noted a very deep box arrangement, (7 bars)
which is distinct from my usual Australian Pitney Bowes machines.

All my results are coming up, as from CANADA

Very consistent with HK style
You may well have cracked it.

Edited by rod222 - 02/14/2021 10:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it was cancelled in the USA, or perhaps Canada?

Gee Linus, what a guess !
I would never have thought that.

Pillar Of The Community
3528 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222,
The 1937 Quebec cancel you posted is a close match, note the different alignment of the O above the D to Linus's original stamp.
This Quebec machine is a "Perfect" brand machine, identifiable here by the tall year-date slug. A good mimic to the Universal machines.
Edited by John Becker - 02/14/2021 10:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod - I have many Hong Kong stamps that were cancelled with Canada and USA cancels in my collection. John is right, as your Quebec example is very close, but not quite lined up exactly.

Linus
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HALIFAX ? Gentlemen?
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod, that is my slogan exactly! Now, my next question, is there any chance this slogan was also used on the west coast of Canada, say Vancouver or Victoria, British Columbia? All of my other Hong Kong stamps with Canada cancels are west coast, I have nothing that is east coast at all. I wonder what cities in Canada used this slogan?

Edited by Linus - 02/14/2021 11:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I answered my own question searching on eBay, where I found this cover.

Thanks for your help, Rod and John B.

Much appreciated,
Linus

(not my cover, image from eBay...)

Edited by Linus - 02/15/2021 12:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
3528 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus,
On the right track, but not an exact match yet. Note the squareness and width of the O and D in your original cancel.
The cancel on your stamp also has a very small break in the vertical bar, just above the eyebrow, although this flaw may not appear consistently.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Knowing how meticulous BNAPS are, I would suggest there exists a study on Canadian Machine cancels somewhere.
There are for Western Australia and New South Wales.

I tried Googling BNAPS without success.

Can any members suggest how these covers would receive these postmarks, please?
Postal history is not my strong point.

First Port of call..
Edited by rod222 - 02/15/2021 12:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
3528 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The paquebot collectors have very detailed listings.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05